Kayak Rigging

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys,

been away all week, st branocks church is all better now. cheers for boyancy advice, will steer clear of expanding foam. still not got vehicle so cant try out eric the yak yet.

pretty tedious really, just finishing up pointing the floor, limewashing etc. will put some pics on non fishing chat when i get a chance.

will give eric the yak a go down on the river to see what boyancy is like first.

bought a whistle yesterday, have secured it to me jacket, will check out wetsuits at weekend, all the ones in braunton had lables on them that made the worth a lot of money.

Hi Ziggy

I've yet to test mine out too but will do soon hopefully.

The water is obviously quite cold this time of year and I'm sorting my clothing out in case I go in.

From what I can gather if I am paddling in a sheltered area the chances of going in are quite low but I need to prepare for the cold water just in case.

In these temperatures my Farmer John 3mm neoprene suit is not going to cut it especially after finding out that the torso area is the more vulnerable area to cold water shock. So I may need to get a wet suit jacket before I go out.. this will give me a combined thickness of 6mm or so over the torso area. I've also got neoprene boots, gloves and may be picking up a neoprene balaclava/hood soon.

Anyway if your interested in the bodies response to cold water immersion check this link out:

http://www.wildernessconnection.com/cold2.htm

If you do a search for cold water immersion you should find more info on this subject..very important as:

"COLD WATER IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH AMONGST PADDLE SPORT ENTHUSIASTS"

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Not quite kayaking but check this scientist/skier who demonstrates the effects of cold water shock (nutter)

http://www.watersafetycouncil.org/coldwaterimmersion/

(will need broadband for the vid's there not in a very compressed format... best to right click the link and save the file then open it as playback could be choppy)

[ 07. February 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: Tony Wan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

hi guys,

scary stuff. have been in cold water immersion & it do take your breath, instinct was to get the hell out asap. not a pleasant experience.

jaffa, wetsuits dont often appear in the charities down here but i will keep an eye open, trouble is, you dont know whos wee'd em !

tony wan, the thicker the better aproach sounds good, either that or cover our bodies with lard.

so you not from hong kong after all, i dont come round & check if your wok is black then.

wot bit of dorset you live in then ? :-)

Sorry Ziggy never been to Hong Kong -- I'm based at Bournemouth.

My won ton soup is out of a packet and my prawn crackers arent up to much... I do a mean fried rice though :)

[ 07. February 2005, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: Tony Wan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow