Pros and cons of a line tray?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Snatcher

Snatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts
  • Interests:Angling,Shooting,Drinking,Darts,Tying fishing flies/lures,Weigh training,following NUFC football club,more drinking

Posted 21 April 2005 - 12:52 AM

Going to hopefully do a lot of saltwater flyfishing for bass this year in the Mull of Galloway area. I reckon I will have to get a line tray to stop the flyline getting shredded very quickly.
Seen a commerial one in my local tackle shop for 20.Is it worth the money I am thinking to myself?Could make one from a washing up dish that should work fine and cost coppers.
You thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated gentlemen.

[ 20. April 2005, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend
HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

#2 jeepster

jeepster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, cooking, fishing and cooking. Oh and a bit of boozing too.

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:22 AM

doesn't your local have trays you could nick?

#3 Guest_Flybynight_*

Guest_Flybynight_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:35 AM

Tell you next week chap. I'm trying one out on Saturday on Loch Beannie - 15 I think. I cracked and just bought one...hope it does what I need.

FBN

#4 Snatcher

Snatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts
  • Interests:Angling,Shooting,Drinking,Darts,Tying fishing flies/lures,Weigh training,following NUFC football club,more drinking

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:37 AM

Lets have a report back then Fly. Hey jeepster seen your twin a short while ago on this forum LOL
What is an avatar

[ 20. April 2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

#5 jeepster

jeepster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, cooking, fishing and cooking. Oh and a bit of boozing too.

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:39 AM

i must get myself an avatar

#6 Snatcher

Snatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 01:47 AM

I am sure if you crawled to Newt and said "pretty please" he could install a Jasper Avatar for you to fit in with your profession mate.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

#7 MJB

MJB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts
  • Interests:SWFF

Posted 21 April 2005 - 02:08 AM

Snatcher,

A few tips about line trays for the salt.Unless you are wading in a raging surf, avoid collapsable bowls.I use the Orvis rigid bowl

Posted Image

but at 39 it isnt cheap, but a lovely bit of kit. You can get a similar one from LLBean for about 20 , but you need to get it from the U.S.

Making your own from a washing up bowl is an idea. A piece of bungee cord for a belt and a few cable tie 'bristles' in the bottom to help prevent tangles. I gave up doing this after the 15th attempt at getting it how I wanted it failed.

Martin

#8 franticfisherman2

franticfisherman2

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Fly-fishing (still water), char and ferox fishing. Occasional sea fishing. Photography, making (amateur) fishing videos.

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:27 PM

I made one years ago and it is still going strong. I used a couple of wire coathangers for the frame and cut up some old waterproof trousers for the "bag". Cost; 0.0p! The plans were in the now defunct "Angling" magazine.. Tell me if you're interested and I will show you it.

To see my videos,  look HERE - Enjoy.......FF2

#9 Spur-Hound

Spur-Hound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

Fishing place where there is a tide, and surf is a total nightmare. Ive not got a line tray but i wish i had! The waves, tide tangle the fly line at your feet all over the shop. If it doesnt tangle round your legs about 50 times/tied itself in improsible knots or tangled itself in bladder wrack, boulders and rocks then your doing seriously well.
Tight Lines
Shaun

#10 Snatcher

Snatcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:28 AM

ff2 if you can bring it into work next week for me to have a spy at it would be most appreciated.I am on late shift. Thanks ff2 you are a star - and Dorothy must have a heart like a lion!

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair