Pros and cons of a line tray?

Snatcher

Going to hopefully do a lot of saltwater flyfishing for bass this year in the Mull of Galloway area. I reckon I will have to get a line tray to stop the flyline getting shredded very quickly.

Seen a commerial one in my local tackle shop for £20.Is it worth the money I am thinking to myself?Could make one from a washing up dish that should work fine and cost coppers.

You thoughts on this matter would be most appreciated gentlemen.

[ 20. April 2005, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flybynight

Tell you next week chap. I'm trying one out on Saturday on Loch Beannie - £15 I think. I cracked and just bought one...hope it does what I need.

FBN

Lets have a report back then Fly. Hey jeepster seen your twin a short while ago on this forum LOL

What is an avatar

[ 20. April 2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Snatcher ]

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I am sure if you crawled to Newt and said "pretty please" he could install a Jasper Avatar for you to fit in with your profession mate.

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Snatcher,

A few tips about line trays for the salt.Unless you are wading in a raging surf, avoid collapsable bowls.I use the Orvis rigid bowl

Posted Image

but at £39 it isnt cheap, but a lovely bit of kit. You can get a similar one from LLBean for about £20 , but you need to get it from the U.S.

Making your own from a washing up bowl is an idea. A piece of bungee cord for a belt and a few cable tie 'bristles' in the bottom to help prevent tangles. I gave up doing this after the 15th attempt at getting it how I wanted it failed.

Martin

Guest PhilB

I made one years ago and it is still going strong. I used a couple of wire coathangers for the frame and cut up some old waterproof trousers for the "bag". Cost; £0.0p! The plans were in the now defunct "Angling" magazine.. Tell me if you're interested and I will show you it.

Fishing place where there is a tide, and surf is a total nightmare. Ive not got a line tray but i wish i had! The waves, tide tangle the fly line at your feet all over the shop. If it doesnt tangle round your legs about 50 times/tied itself in improsible knots or tangled itself in bladder wrack, boulders and rocks then your doing seriously well.

Tight Lines

Shaun

ff2 if you can bring it into work next week for me to have a spy at it would be most appreciated.I am on late shift. Thanks ff2 you are a star - and Dorothy must have a heart like a lion!

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair