Fisheries officer on Southend Pier

sam-cox

Yes we did descuss livebaiting, no undersized fish can be used, furry muff I think.If we want to up the MLS and preach to the commercial fisherman about 36cm being to small then we must practice what we preach.

I do think that fisheries officers should know their onions concerning laws about fish sales, Richard didnt know that an angler could sell his catch if caught from the shore or un-powered boat.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newt:

***Simon*** - I can see where you are coming from but to me, making them return the undersize fish to the water makes sense.

- Wasted?  Not likely.  Too many sea critters that enjoy a dead fish so they will be used albeit not by a human person.

- Taken home?  If so, where do you draw the line.  Is 2 undersized fish OK but 3 not OK?  How about 20 OK but not 21?  It is much easier to police if the practice is not to allow any undersize fish to be kept.

:cool: Spot on, zero tolerance is the answer. We could do with more checks. :D

If I thought Gordon Broun wasnt gust going to put the money in his fat wallet I would happily pay a 30 quid per year lisence to put more fishery officers on our piers and other populer venues.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

only 12 replies, just shows how unimportant this is to many anglers.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

my point, this should be an inportant topic to anglers who care about the fucture of our sport.

and that makes nine.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

The guy was totally correct in making them throw the dead fish back. I find it quite amusing when I challenge coarse or trout anglers fishing in the sea on their holidays and keeping undersize fish and they plead ignnorance. I just ask them if it would be OK for me to come to their usual fishing haunt and completely ignore the rules of the fishery.The real shame is that small Bass are so easy to catch.

sam-cox:

If we was get get a sea anling lisence inforced on us, then that money would be well spent on more fishery officers.

thats just not true in nearly 20 years of buying a coarse and or game licence i have only been asked to show mine maybe half a dozen times, and on the one occasion when I didn't have it with me I was still allowed to carry on fishing, the guy just asked for my name and address, I could have told him anything and I very much doubt he ever checked to make sure I had one.

Guest jay_con

Check out the environment agency website. They know how to do things. No licence usually equals prosecution, serious breach of rules usually means prosecution, any breach of rules no matter how minor equals a caution with a second offence bringing a prosecution. The fear of the environment agency is enough in these parts to make the biggest x poachers play by the rules. My neighbour was cautioned not so long back for fishing 2 rods on a local reservoir. Chappers you were lucky as what you describe is just not EA policy. I have my licence checked most times I venture onto the river bank with a rod, and I am fearful of what would happen if I didnt have one. Check out the EA website - It lists many of the recent cautions (or did last time I looked ).