Malibu X-Factor on the water

Simon Everett

Here is South African paddling against a wonderful, Snowdonia backdrop as we set out in search of that elusive plaice!

The red certainly is a nice colour and it stands out well.

CRW_1200.JPG

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stability certainly isn't a factor to be concerned with. To prove the point her I am in Corcovado mode (practising for when I amout there next month!!)

CRW_1241.JPG

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

To sum up:

It is certainly nicely moulded. It is VERY roomy and the tank well is huge, as is the forward hatch compartment. The large access hatch in the centre is still ot big enough to put rods down through, but does permit easy access to the hull for other things - you could stick a dry bag down there for instance, with your lunch in it, or your car keys, and phone and wallet.....perhaps South African will have something to say here...!

It shows the quality of the moulding when you see the sharp angles they have achieved in the shape. Look how sharp some of the corners are for instance.

There is no fgetting away from it, this is a big kayak and we had to take two cars as we couldn't get two kayaks on the roof of one car - the X-Factor is just too beamy without some kind of racking system. But then, you can't have a kayak to stand up in without it being a bit on the broad side.

Paddline was a surprise. She is heavy to paddle after the Scupper Pro and Dorado, but not as bad as I had thought. I wouldn't want to try and do 20 mles a day in her mind, bt going out for the tope wouldn't be that bad. A couple of miles is perfectly feasible, the slimmer kayaks are going to be faster, but for novice paddlers the X-Factor will provide bags of confidence. More established paddlers will be disappointed in the performance - because they will will be more used to a sleeker kayak. The extra weight and beam do take their toll and even South African was surprised just how much faster the Scupper pro was - although he thought it was a bit flighty while he was sat in her. Compared to the battleship he had just got out of it was hardly surprising, sit with your legs over the side of the X-Factor and she doesn't move.

I would like to see/try her in the shore break though to find out just how effectively you can control her in a wave on the beach - traditionally the point where pork pies and beer go floating down the river....Even the Prowler is prone to dumping lunch all over the National Park coastline :D

I am a bit sceptical as to whether the beam ratio and sheer size of the kayak wouldn't be a bit of a handful in surf on the beach conditions - I am quite willing to be proved wrong - it is a nagging thought not something I have found out yet. The swept stern leads one to believe that she should carry herself on the front of a wave and there is a very narrow keel line to help tracking, so perhaps she will surf well - someone will tell us!

In the wind she lay virtually stern to and lee cocked on the drift. This trait is something to be aware of if paddling with an offshore wind, because her natural tendency is to turn her bow with the wind - making it harder work to paddle home into a wind.

One thing I should say is that when two anglers fishing off the pier saw us come back in they were down like a shot and gave the drab, olivegrey/green Scupper pro a miss and headed straight for the bright, red Malibu! One of them was thinking about buying a kayak and so was asking all the usual questions - finally he plucked up the courage to have a quick paddle. So we lent him my vest and off he went. he came back, never having been in a kayak before, full of renewed confidence and even more determined to get a kayak. maybe that says something?

The price is a bit of a hurdle for me - consider you can get a Dorado for virtually the same money....but then you need to be a paddler to get the benefit of it, and have a small frame to fit in it! Newcomers will like the room, the solid primary stability (I didn't really test the secondary!)and won't worry about the weight to paddle.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

GREAT REPORT SIMON WELL DONE

a friend of mine is looking about for a yak and this was one of the ones on the list to see but the very high price takes it off his list now.

thanks again simon great report

terry

I've just managed to get in here for a quick look & knowing a little about this yak already I'm grateful for the info Simon, cheers!

I'm very interested in one of these and at the moment am keeping an open mind for my new, dedicated fishing kayak. Great pics and excellent write up. :cool:

Those front facing flush mounts are a nice touch and something that could be so helpful when baiting up when using a second rod.

Simon get down before you break it. :D

Great report Moose Jaw :D

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

G'day guys!

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.....

Firstly - well done for such an objective review.

I'd like to clarify a couple of points.

Re the rudder mounting......

The bolts holding the "U" bracket does look a little flimsy. However the nuts that the bolts tighten into are actually captive within the manufacturing process.

Rudder controls as foot rests.......

You can secure the rudder down when not in use - then the pedals become footrests.....

Sorry to hear you couldn't get into the surf with the "X".

I know its quite a large clip - but if you want to see an X do a surf beach launch & landing "Aussie style"

visit http://www.fishyak.com/videoclips.html

Finally, I'd like to ask your permission to use the photo, "standing up" on the Fishyak website?

As well as being a great example - its also a bloody good picture!

Kind regards

Fishyak

[ 10. October 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Fishyak ]