Hobie Adventure.......looks Good.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Darnsarf.

What you say about using the other arm as a lever ( Falcrom ) is good , whilst rolling the wrist.

But the trunk and hips help to generate power into the stroke too.

When paddling at sea, energy conservation needs to be thought about, especialy if you plan on a long haul, encountering tides wind,and currents.

Has most of your paddling been on rivers ?

This would explain your choice of paddle length, I would think your paddling high ?

If you get chance try a longer paddle, with a more relaxed attitude to your paddle stroke, you may find a marked improvment.

YY :)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Darnsarf.

What you say about using the other arm as a lever ( Falcrom ) is good , whilst rolling the wrist.

But the trunk and hips help to generate power into the stroke too.

When paddling at sea, energy conservation needs to be thought about, especialy if you plan on a long haul, encountering tides wind,and currents.

Has most of your paddling been on rivers ?

This would explain your choice of paddle length, I would think your paddling high ?

If you get chance try a longer paddle, with a more relaxed attitude to your paddle stroke, you may find a marked improvment.

YY :)

Don't teach him any more Yakitty he's like Micheal Schumacher already!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

:bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

:D:D , ummmmm......the Kayak resembles one of his cars too Richi. :D:thumbs:

Speciman is like Sterling Moss in his green caper :) .I would love to see what speed he gets up to in a prowler or scuppa.

I think there could be a challenge for a pier to pier race. :boat: Darnsarf V Speciman.

I will be the bookie :yeah:

zzippy2.gif

Hi Yakity

Its a lot down to personel preference my experience includes some expeditions including a round Cyprus charity bash.

But most of my learning and teaching has been on whitewater and slalom. This does encourage a more vertical style. You are right to point out that body roll is equally important but that tends to be lesson 2 :D

Just for the record I was not the best slalom yaker. Couldnt see the point in paddling upstream:D

I personally can't get on with longer paddles they are inefficient with my style and I find I have to concentrate on tracking. Its like football paddling is a game of opinions.

Diffferent paddles can also influence style the Kinetic Wing that Richi has works best with a flatter more rotational style.

Its another reason that paddle selection should almost be as important as yak choice. Another try before you buy!

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Speciman is like Sterling Moss in his green caper :) .I would love to see what speed he gets up to in a prowler or scuppa.

I think there could be a challenge for a pier to pier race. :boat: Darnsarf V Speciman.

I will be the bookie :yeah:

I know who my money would be on :ph34r::fishing1::busted_cop::cold:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

assisted rescues---5

Hi Bill,

it certainly does help - it confirms what I said. If you look at the paddle fit that he suggests you should have no more than two grips(hand widths) between your grip and the blade when paddle is square across your head and hands in normal grippng position as if you were a weight lifter - how broad are your shoulders? We're back to Arnie again!

The standard touring stroke with straight arm swing is still LESS TIRING and more efficient with a shorter rather than a longer paddle. Kayak coaches all agree that long paddles cause more injuries than shorter ones - becuase the leverage exerted on you, for instance in a roll, or even in a high brace in surf, is magnified with paddle length.

If I knew how to do the link trick I could post many links advocating shorter paddles for extended kayak touring - which is similar to our requirements when fishing (although not many of us are doing 30 mile days when fishig. I have, on a couple of occasions, but more out of boredom or the belief that there must be a fish in the next bay, or the next one!) I'll catch some more one day - meanwhile I shall continue to enjoy my paddling! (And the powerboating too. New engine as got BULLET up to 50 knots even before it is run in!!)

I am certain that plaice is going to come my way this year!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo