Hobie Adventure.......looks Good.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

More likely me and Speciman will be waiting for you at the beach side bar :rolleyes::lol:

My racing days are way in the past due to a bad back injury just before I left the army. Thats why I can sympathise with Richi. Just for fun now I'm afraid. UNless its for charity then I dont mind losing. ;):D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In which case can I bring my boat?!!!!
We could do with a safety boat for the inter county meet!

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hiya Darnsarf.

Now were getting there, as I thought, your choice is down to your previous style and discipline.

So you have developed a style, and want to stick with it, thats cool.

For the newer guys here, and those totaly new to Kayaking,they would perhaps be better off getting measured in the propper manner , rather than using other peoples sugestions on what they use regarding length.

Paddle selection as important as Kayak selection, somthing Ive been saying for a long time. ;) glad you agree.

Bill.

Hi Bill,

it certainly does help - it confirms what I said. If you look at the paddle fit that he suggests you should have no more than two grips(hand widths) between your grip and the blade when paddle is square across your head and hands in normal grippng position as if you were a weight lifter - how broad are your shoulders? We're back to Arnie again!

The standard touring stroke with straight arm swing is still LESS TIRING and more efficient with a shorter rather than a longer paddle. Kayak coaches all agree that long paddles cause more injuries than shorter ones - becuase the leverage exerted on you, for instance in a roll, or even in a high brace in surf, is magnified with paddle length.

If I knew how to do the link trick I could post many links advocating shorter paddles for extended kayak touring - which is similar to our requirements when fishing (although not many of us are doing 30 mile days when fishig. I have, on a couple of occasions, but more out of boredom or the belief that there must be a fish in the next bay, or the next one!) I'll catch some more one day - meanwhile I shall continue to enjoy my paddling! (And the powerboating too. New engine as got BULLET up to 50 knots even before it is run in!!)

I am certain that plaice is going to come my way this year!

Simon.

If you want to post a link....Go to the page or web site you want to copy from.

At the top of the page you will see the Address bar(http://www)....Right click on the address and click on copy.

Then go to Anglers net and click on reply.

Right click on the page you are writing on and click on paste.The address will be put on the page then.

Do not type anything else on the same line.

Start a new line if you want to type anything else.

I hope that hasnt confused you to much.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

Bill I was being diplomatic. My style is the result of extensive coaching by Olympic coaches. NOt that I went to the Olympics. Just that I was fortunate enough to be based with the Army team coach for 2 years. I intern trained as an Army BCU affiliated coach and taught both river and sea. Unfortuantely, a bad Mountain Bike accident wrecked my back so I left canoeing until last year when Starvinmarvin wetted my appetite again.

Unfortunately, due to the injury I have since had to adopt a more arm shoulder based style which would not win any awards but does get me out on the water. I have to say it is a bit like riding a bike, the trip out of Lulworth brought back all the old techniques. Loved every minute of it.

This subject has always highlighted different approaches. Its the sea fishing equivalent of Fixed Spool or Multiplier; Mono or Braid. The answer is always the same. Its down to the individual but get the basics right and then let personal style develop into the finished article.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Thanks Zzippy. I'll try it! (If I can remember all that lot when I am in the other place!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Like this...

#7a I recommend at 230 (or 240)mm paddle!

This is one of the most debated and mysterious myths, and I'm still not totally satisfied with my position. But almost. This is one of the most recommended paddle lengths. If you ask the seller why, he'll either (a) lean back and look you up and down and say "yup, you need a 230", (B) stand the paddle on end and have you reach up to either touch the end or slightly over it or © tell you it has to do with yak width. There are even charts based on yak width which makes for a comfortable illusion.

It's gotten so bad that most retailers carry mostly 230's and even 240's. I believe this came about as part of a general trend toward longer narrower touring paddles that favored ease of use and lower paddling angles (for new paddlers) over performance. FYI this trend is changing back toward shorter larger paddles and for good reason.

Only © has any merit and only for the really wide yaks (say 34"), and you're not gonna buy one of those are ya? So what's the real skinny here? Let me start this way. Remember first that you are gonna do a lot of paddling, thousands of strokes every time you go out. Your whole enjoyment of the water and effectiveness as a yakfisher depend largely on this decision. So read this well:

Yak width means something, but not as much as you think (unless you paddle laying down). Torso height does (what's that, your retailer didn't use that term?). Simply that means how high your upper body and shoulders are above the water. Two people of the same height often have different torsos, sit higher or lower.

Torso height determines your paddling distance from the water. Yak width doesn't. Your height or reach doesn't. And paddling distance is what determines paddle length.

In my case, I have long legs, short torso, can use a shorter paddle. Other people of the same height may have short legs and a long torso, need a longer paddle to reach the water.

The other big factor is paddling angle. I use a 220 mm paddle and a more vertical style (which varies depending on winds and conditions). I could use a 250 mm paddle using a much more horizontal style. The Bending Branches chart says a guy of average size like me can use a 220 for low angle (more horizontal) paddling and a 200 for high angle (more vertical).

Last by far is yak width. Unless it's really wide. A couple of inches is of width is of little consequence. There will be little difference between say a 220 or 230 - both will clear the deck, and what little difference there is may mean a minor adjustment in paddling angle.

Now if you're really interested, one of the really hip paddlemakers has published a chart based on torso length (write for the link). But I'm not gonna publish it here cause the recommended lengths would scare you. Let me leave it at this. Unless you a very tall, have very long arms and also a very long torso, buy a 220. Truth is you could probably go shorter in many cases, but this is a good start. Here's why:

1. The 220 will cause a more vertical angle. Your yak will "track" better (i.e. you will paddle straighter).

2. The 220 will be a tad lighter, and easier to swing. Remember, thousands of strokes per day.

3. You will be able to tolerate a bigger blade, move more water when you have to.

4. It will better facilitate having your paddle "at-the-ready" (in your lap) when you fish, won't slap or get caught in the water.

Each of these is a subject in itself. No matter what go shorter. Fortunately the better yak shops are already recognizing this.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo