Leisure Fishing in Whitby - As important to the towns economyas commercial fishing.

Guest @Winter@

Guest @Winter@

Hi Brian sorry to be a pain m8. Appears this thread has gone off at an unwanted tangent beofre it even began m8. Perhaps you would copy and paste your comments into the other one. Sorry :):)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest binatone

How strange that winter decides to close down his comment on this thread after he made such a bold attempt to promote big cods business.

I see that you have not withdrawn the comments that you made about his boat and business. Did you honestly think that after all this time we where so gullible?

Good try, Andy still waiting by the phone.

THANK YOU,@WINTER@...I Will have alook at the Chieftian Chahrteris.....is this the boat or charter to do....I don't mind helping him...but it's his life he needs to fish...just spoke to someone at Chieftian Charters of Whitby ,is that who you mean.....chap called John.....spoke to a lady before,are they ok...for a trip...I have done birthday/extra trips form and they never turn out ok..the lady said all fish will be filleted...never heard that from a boat before....I think I will try a get a places for him on this ship....I will let you know and i would like any input for what he needs...I can buy this for his birthday..LOL lv for new year.

Back to the original topic.

I can believe these figures; angling has always made a good contribution to Whitby’s economy.

If it makes anywhere as much of a contribution as it did say twenty years ago is debateable? I would have thought that it has declined as much as the commercial contribution has.

The one part of the tourist side of things that has increased massively over the last few years is the pleasure trips to sea.

I was talking to one skipper of one of these boats and he said that he alone had taken 60000 passengers on his boat alone in 2005.

So what part do these boats make in contribution to the local economy?

60000 pasengers in one year now that must be a world record for a charterboat .

Lets just hope he doesnt meet the tax man. :blink::blink:

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest binatone
60000 pasengers in one year now that must be a world record for a charterboat .

Lets just hope he doesnt meet the tax man. :blink::blink:

I know it sounds a lot BC but it’s a fact and one that puts the angling and commercial sectors in Whitby in some kind of respective.

60,000 Passengers per year. Hmmmmm. Can be done.

• 350 days underweigh per year (need some maintenance time)
  • 6 trips per day at 2 hours each gives 2,100 trips per year
  • 29 passangers per trip
  • 60,000 passengers per year

Hope he is doing harbor tours though rather than fishing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest @Winter@

Have to say if it's that big yellow boat he certainly does some business. Trips I think are about half hour each. This guy defianately upset the other established businesses who do pleasure trips.

Fancy the sunset cruise myself, but with it being such a shocking summer last year I never bothered. Perhaps this summer will be better. Looks very nice cruising around sandsend and kettleness as the sun sets.

60,000 divided by 12 per charter = 5000 trips!

Divide that by 250 days (I believe this is about right for the number of days good weather) = 20 trips a day!!!!

6000 using the same sums = 2 trips per day. More believable, do the whitby boats do evening trips? At £20 per head that's still £120k, less running costs!!!

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest binatone

What is the value of locally caught fish and chips to the economy?

I have asked a few fish processors and they have said that they cannot fill the demand that they get for locally caught fish.

Nearly every fish shop or restaurant in Whitby and the surrounding area, advertises local fish for sale.

What do the majority of people eat when they come to these parts? And how happy do you think they would be with the local tourist industry if they where to be told that there is no longer to be any local fish and chips because we have decided to do away with the traditional fishing industry so that anglers have more chance to catch a fish.

The only people that make a good living from recreational angling from Whitby are the owners of the two angling shops that are open all year round.