CamelCamelCamel

Ken L

For anyone not familiar with CamelCamelCamel, it's a website that tracks prices on Amazon.

Simply paste an Amazon URL into it's search bar and it will provide a price history as a graph that lets you see whether the item is the bargain that you think it is.

Register on the site and you can track multiple items and get an e-mail alert when (if) the price of an item drops below a threshold that you set.

Having busted my main camera a while back by falling over on rock whilst fishing (surprise, surprise), I've been on the lookout for a replacement. I had a price range in mind, read all the reviews and narrowed the available cameras down to five or six options and set up alerts on CamelCamelCamel. Over time, I've deleted a couple because later reviews have indicated problems but this morning I woke to an e-mail alert telling me that the Fujifilm FinePix HS50 had dropped below my target price of £250.

I now have a new camera on order.

A very handy little website.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Money advisor warned somewhere that these sites are funded so the bargain you see may not be a real bargain at all .

We always know when sainsbury is going to have a sale their prices creep up slowly a couple of months before so they can be "halved" backdown to the price they were a few months earlier ,seems common everywhere now .

The biggest con is "RRP" ( i thought using it as a reference had been banned ?) just nonsense really the price is down to the seller not the manufacturer or middle man .

There are bargains out there but i do the looking the hard way then spot an even better price the second i press "buy" ,such is my luck.

Got a fuji SL1000 at a refurbed price a couple of months ago then bloody bought a f770exr for a tenner in a charity shop and use that more ,such is life!

The fuji S1 looked far more appealing but the price is far above what its worth compared to the SL1000 but far more weather proof for the fishing side ,but do you really want a bridge camera for snaps of fish but handy for longer range snaps i suppose

Fuji have a online shop for their refurbed cameras and now with a full warranty rather than the 3 months it used to be but i bought mine cheaper from ebay with 12 months warranty so obviously fuji could sell cheaper online if they wished!

Companies selling nowadays seem to forget the world is out there as competition ,they should sell at the price the buyer wants not the price they want ,if you find two items the same spec you tend to go for the cheaper if brand loyalty isnt in mind ,i like fuji ,i have always bought fuji but if i had the money to look elswhere perhaps i wouldnt

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/finepix-hs50exr-refurbished.html

My camera has dropped £30 on there and now is a tenner cheaper than i bought it (groan)

Ps the cameras themselves ( i have bought two over the years from fuji refurb shop) are immaculate but the boxes themselves were not the retail versions so the resale value will reflect this showing it was a cheaper camera in the first place

PPs you can stop your sale if it was more expensive under the distance selling regs if it was more expensive than my link (wink)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Camera Price Buster is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

Your not going to get a genuine deal if the vested interest is to go via amazon ,amazon can be cheap but in many things its convenient rather than bottom dollar

Probably listing deals cheaper than amazon would get them no money at all from the company so not in their interests to do so

Amazon is also a bit naughty giving a special deal with very small writing telling you have to opt out of it in 30 days otherwise it clobbers you with an £80 cost of carrying on having it ,the 93 year old two doors away was truly suckered in not spotting that

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I have a compact as my main fishing camera but the bridge is what I take on my travels. Better zoom, better low light performance, more detail and it'll do decent video.

Yes, I could have saved another tenner by using an unknown supplier but as the camera that I ordered was sold by Amazon and not a third party, I'm less likely to get ripped off and have some fallback if things go wrong.

Nice find for a tenner BTW.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

It was ,not perfect the iris on the lens occasionally doesnt close fully but i can overlook that ,not sure fuji is a third party though LOl

The slo-mo on the SL1000 is far better than the 770 though

Edited by chesters1

Your not going to get a genuine deal if the vested interest is to go via amazon ,amazon can be cheap but in many things its convenient rather than bottom dollar

Probably listing deals cheaper than amazon would get them no money at all from the company so not in their interests to do so

They still show the cheapest price that they've found on the net, whether it's Amazon or not.

How much more can they do? :huh:

Strange i can beat amazons price by a tenner with a two year warranty on the first page of google i use

As i said and warned if your paid by someone theres a reason ,unless amazons price has dropped today? £249 when i looked

If it were me i would go down the refurbed rout direct from fuji and spend the savings buying an extended warranty

Edited by chesters1

They still show the cheapest price that they've found on the net, whether it's Amazon or not.

How much more can they do? :huh:

No, it lists Amazon's prices and the prices of third part sellers who are listing via\ Amazon marketplace. CamelCamelCamel doesn't trawl the net for you.

Then again, neither does Google shop. Google shop is a commercial product that lists sellers who are paying Google.

If you want to find the cheapest deals on the net, you will have to manually trawl through dealers websites.

Blimey KenL your nearly agreeing with me !