Killing / freezing deadbaits.

philocalist

Perhaps not the most pleasant topic to raise, but I'm bringing the problem here, as at least I'm likely to get a considered opinion / decent advice, rather than the typical knee-jerk type reaction I might anticipate elsewhere :bye1:

It looks increasingly likely that I'm about to come into possession (quite legally!) of quite a number of (healthy) fish that cannot (legally) be released into another water. They are almost exclusively roach of around 4", with the occasional perch of the same size, but nothing that is any bigger.

The simple explanation is that I moved house earlier this year, and quite by chance got into a conversation this morning with a landscape gardner working locally. A property adjacent to where he is currently working has a garden pond approaching a quarter acre in size. At some point this week, it is being drained completely to make way for a house extension (bloody Phillistines! :D ) The roach went in over the course of the last 12 months or so apparently, and there has been no obvious predation or fish-loss - the origins of the roach is very hazy, but there IS a nearby lake overrun with very similar fish ......... :huh:

Another local private pond-owner MAY take them (regardless of the legal implications, though it's currently not very likely) A second option is that they come no-where near me, and likely end up dead somewhere, unused, wasted and rotting.The final option is that I take them as offered and convert them into frozen deadbaits.

As yet, numbers are not accurate - it could be a few dozen fish, or a few hundred - or anywhere inbetween.

So - ignoring the ethics / morality issues that might arise here ... IF I'm faced with the prospect of having to kill these fish quickly and humanely ... how? It's one thing tapping a few on the head etc, but I think I'd baulk at doing a few dozen, never mind a couple of hundred.

Then - what is the best way to freeze these down, for use as future deadbaits? Remember, I'm talking domestic freezers here, rather than having the convenience of someone else blast-freezing them for me.

Bottom line is that unless these fish vanish anonymously into another water somewhere, they are likely to be dumped and left to rot, so I'd much prefer to make the best of a bad job.

The kindest way would be to anaesthetise them with 2-phenoxyethanol. You can buy it online. MS-222 or benzocaine are alternatives, but I should think harder to obtain. Won't affect the safety or usefulness of the baits.

The kindest way would be to anaesthetise them with 2-phenoxyethanol. You can buy it online. MS-222 or benzocaine are alternatives, but I should think harder to obtain. Won't affect the safety or usefulness of the baits.

Not sure why if your happy sticking hooks in fish because fish don't feel pain, you would think this the kindest way?

I was brought up farming, hunting, shooting and eating some of the fish I caught. Least messing is the best for me. Quick tap on the head, in a bag, in the freezer and put it on fast freeze for a couple of hours.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I would agree with that - but he said he doesn't want to process them individually - if he wants to kill them en masse, anaesthetic is kinder than letting them suffocate.

Sorry must be that country lad up bringing that stops me understanding some anglers. I think of death as painless, its just getting there that might hurt a bit.

So would the anaesthetic kill them or just put them to sleep slowly for a bit?

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Knocks them out, depresses their breathing, if left in it long enough they snuff it. We used to use it for samples of fish too large to simply chuck in alcohol (which kills fry in seconds).

Is there a trout farm nearby?

You could tip the lot into their "electrocution tank" and 30 seconds later, all ready to take home! Thats what we used to do with the dustbins full of trout we were preparing for being smoked when I worked at a trout farm.

Rich

Kappa,

The only humane way is to drive a wooden stake through their heart - individually.

Otherwise - for large batches of chum we use a lawnmower.

Phone

Phone, he's talking about roach, not carp.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John