back leads

Thanks chaps,

I have never used back leads, so yes the info will help.

The water i fish is about the hardest water in SA, but the dam holds the biggest fish. It has clear water, and just about every type of swim you can think of, from weeds and reeds to open water, rocks muddy areas. It is fun to fish there even if more often than not you come up with a blank.

I have got hold of some back leads I will put them in the tackle box, I will give it a try no harm done I suppose.

Thanks again

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just watched the Korda underwater DVD part two it could be a case that fish picked up your semi fixed rigs and put them down again.

The dvd proved beyond doubt that running rigs are far more sensative than semi fixed.

The diver was actually picking up the rigs from the point where a hook would have been.

There was no indication on the bobbins or alarms when the semi fixed was picked up.

Fish can even arc round on a tight line without registering a bite.

A fish cannot pick up the lead on a running rig unless it gets jammed by weed etc.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Having just watched the Korda underwater DVD part two it could be a case that fish picked up your semi fixed rigs and put them down again.

The dvd proved beyond doubt that running rigs are far more sensative than semi fixed.

The diver was actually picking up the rigs from the point where a hook would have been.

There was no indication on the bobbins or alarms when the semi fixed was picked up.

Fish can even arc round on a tight line without registering a bite.

A fish cannot pick up the lead on a running rig unless it gets jammed by weed etc.

This is true, but if a fish hooks itself on a semi-fixed rig, that doesn't really matter. Running rigs are undoubtedly more sensitive, but you must be prepared to sit by your rods and strike.

For what it's worth, I prefer running rigs. I don't like backleads though, and I would never use one with a running rig. A personal thing, I suppose. :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This is true, but if a fish hooks itself on a semi-fixed rig, that doesn't really matter. Running rigs are undoubtedly more sensitive, but you must be prepared to sit by your rods and strike.

That's not actually true - at least no more than with a semi fixed lead. Both will equally prick a fish but you equally need to strike both. A 3 or 4 oz lead weighs next to nothing in water, it's as much the line resistance that pulls in the hook, albeit slightly. And anyway you should be by your rods all the time.

Rob.

Hi All,

Well I think my problem is solved, I fished a competition this weekend and my pen pal was using lead core, he was two fish up before i changed over. As a result we ended up forth.

My two best runs and bigger fish we on a free running rig with a slack line so yes the ideas worked.

Thanks guys

Just one point Rob...where do you get the idea that a 3/4oz lead weighs "next to nothing" in water. It weighs 3/4oz the same as in air.

I think you had better get down on your knees by the water and lift a 4oz lead with your finger on the hook point....you will soon find out how much it weighs!

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

That's not actually true - at least no more than with a semi fixed lead. Both will equally prick a fish but you equally need to strike both. A 3 or 4 oz lead weighs next to nothing in water, it's as much the line resistance that pulls in the hook, albeit slightly. And anyway you should be by your rods all the time.

Rob.

Never found the need to strike when its a steaming run, no matter what system used, sharp hook & the fight soon sets the hook.

Actually, unless you're casting big distances, I don't see the need for big leads. I never go above 1.5oz if I'm fishing any less than say 75yds. Most often it's an ounce lead, however I always use smallish hooks (8-12) which are always needle sharp!

The theory behind heavy leads is very logical, but practise soon exposes it's limitations, when you get runs freelining - the opposite end of the spectrum - it makes you think.

BTW the weight loss for the lead in water is negligible.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

No need to think to much, it is all very simple....semi fixed heavy lead acts as a bolt rig by setting the hook point as the fish moves away with the hook in it's mouth....that's it....that is what a bolt rig is.

The single most effective rig for almost all types of bottom fishing...combined with the hair rig/hook out rig it is devastatingly effective.

If you start to alter the basic premise by allowing the fish to move the line without moving the lead (running rig) then you lose the effectiveness of the bolt/semifixed rig.

As we are talking carp fishing here, there is probably no need to ever deviate from a semi fixed hair rig setup. Vary the hook length if you wish (not to long or the fish may suss something is wrong and spit the hook out) play about with anti eject setups, but keep the basic setup which will hook almost every fish that takes the hook into it's mouth.

I have to comment here, that I am amazed at the number of modern carpers who fail to grasp the simple basic idea of the semi fixed/bolt rig.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

i always use semi - fixed rigs with a 2oz lead with no problems, i occasionally use backleads if i feel the need to pin the line down. Never tried free running rigs with slack line, surely youl get stitched up by the carp just as often as youl hook one?

Rob, how does a carp hook its self on line reistance if your fishing slack lines?

steve.

Have a look on the internet for Archimedes principle it explains why leads weigh less in water than in air. Heck try it yourself and see (weigh something in the air then lower it into a bowl of water). It's basically due to the pressure water exerts.

Slack lines aren't totally slack they just hang 'limp'. The pressure is applied by water resistance to movement and the pressure of the clutch or rod (ring) resistance. Either way a fish swimming away from you will be quickly experienceing a quite large force - a kind of bolt effect. Ditto swimming towards you except the lead will probably pick up as well. The important bit however is that the movement will register on the business end as soon as the fish moves the hookbait enough to move the mainline - and hence you can quickly strike.

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs