PIKE WEEKEND MEET

Martin Hurst

Just had a look at the rules of the lake that were given to me and it doesn't mention anything about whether livebaiting is allowed or not, in fact they don't say anything regards fishing methods.

It's worth noting though that the water skiers aren't allowed on the lake from Nov 9th till March 14th, So probably best to wait till they've finished for the season.

was up there on friday for a paddle and got speaking to a couple of fishermen

small meps work well

live bait and dead baits allowed if they are coarse fish dead baits they must come from this water or frozen from a dead bait provider.

sea baits are good with the best being mackeral tails by all accounts

may be up for it but will be able to travel as only comming from cardiff

john.

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

I am in Uttoxeter - so not a million mikles from Leicester. I could let your mate use a kayak - can provide yak, paddle and PFD and an anchor and drogue if he needs them too. BUT, I can only get 2 kayaks on the roof - so you would still have to drive all the way but you are a lot closer than me!

While we are on about pike - it would be better to wait until the skiers have gone - the water is all very warm and few pike are being caught yet - only on baits. The pike are too lethargic at the moment and in deep water. Another excellent lake to try would be Bala. I am going to fish it a few times because it gets less attention that Llangorse - heavily fished pike are more difficult to catch and they don't like pressure. Bala is big and doesn't get the pressure. If you are having to drive it doesn't really matter which way you go and another hour is neighter here nor there.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

That's great Simon, maybe a good plan forming!! if I can persuade him - and his shifts allow - I can share the driving with him if you wouldn't mind him using the yak - and could either come via Uttoxeter and pick up a yak or meet you there. Paddles/pfd and anchors we're ok for - haven't considered a drogue, might be worth me looking into.

s2vto - if I come I can lend you rods/reels, I have a fair selection. I'm rapidly running out of lures though. Can make you some traces up easily enough too.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Sounds great to me. Only 2 hrs drive for me but would rather stop over, in a lodge sounds better than a tent in november.

As for dates I'm easy as I'm supposed to work every weekend so it matters not which 1 I skip.

I might even have a new yak to try out by then too.

:sun::sun: Happy days :sun::sun:

Edited by GB

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

That's great Simon, maybe a good plan forming!! if I can persuade him - and his shifts allow - I can share the driving with him if you wouldn't mind him using the yak - and could either come via Uttoxeter and pick up a yak or meet you there. Paddles/pfd and anchors we're ok for - haven't considered a drogue, might be worth me looking into.

s2vto - if I come I can lend you rods/reels, I have a fair selection. I'm rapidly running out of lures though. Can make you some traces up easily enough too.

cheers, sounds like i will be coming then :thumbs:

i have a 12lb class euroboat, a spinning rod and a 12-20 class boat rod but no pike tackle

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

cheers, sounds like i will be coming then :thumbs:

i have a 12lb class euroboat, a spinning rod and a 12-20 class boat rod but no pike tackle

there will probably be a few people using 12lb euroboats--me for sure :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Quite fancy this myself, was hoping to get there earlier this year but ran out of time. Please put me down for a definite maybe.

Sm :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I like the sound of this one - pike fishing is so easy 'cos if its food they will eat it and if it isn't food they'll TRY and eat it !

My kinda fish :P

Prowler 13 in MANGO.

Sweeeeet.....:)

Kaskazi Dorado

comes with swimming pool as standard

Richi & S2vto, Leave your euroboats at home, they're way over the top :blink:

The gear you'd use for Bass spinning is more than tough enough for any Pike, with 12-15lb mono on the reel.

If your going to use deadbaits then get a few wire traces knocked up with size 8 semi barbed trebles, and all you'll need then is a few swan shot, and a float if you want one, and you're away.

If you fancy lure fishing, then perhaps drop down to 10lb mono or 20-30lb braid (better) and wire traces (30lb or so) with DECENT link swivels (crosslocks) and a selection of Mepps type lures (Ondex are good) and thats it.

Remember to take a good long pair of forceps, at least 10 inches, and some good wire cutters. Landing nets may make life easier to begin with if your not used to handling Pike but you'll soon do away with it once you've had a fish hooked upto the mesh. Just grab the trace then run your finger under the gills ( not too far or you'll start leaking red stuff) and lift the pikes head and he'll automatically open his trap to let you get at the hooks.

They're good sport but treat them like big Bull Huss and that's about what you've got :D

Stu. :)

pike014.jpg