• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#11 lazy hooker

lazy hooker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

Just had a look at the rules of the lake that were given to me and it doesn't mention anything about whether livebaiting is allowed or not, in fact they don't say anything regards fishing methods.
It's worth noting though that the water skiers aren't allowed on the lake from Nov 9th till March 14th, So probably best to wait till they've finished for the season.

was up there on friday for a paddle and got speaking to a couple of fishermen

small meps work well
live bait and dead baits allowed if they are coarse fish dead baits they must come from this water or frozen from a dead bait provider.
sea baits are good with the best being mackeral tails by all accounts

may be up for it but will be able to travel as only comming from cardiff

john.
Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales
www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

#12 Simon Everett

Simon Everett

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  • Interests:Fly fishing and lure fishing

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Mark,
I am in Uttoxeter - so not a million mikles from Leicester. I could let your mate use a kayak - can provide yak, paddle and PFD and an anchor and drogue if he needs them too. BUT, I can only get 2 kayaks on the roof - so you would still have to drive all the way but you are a lot closer than me!

While we are on about pike - it would be better to wait until the skiers have gone - the water is all very warm and few pike are being caught yet - only on baits. The pike are too lethargic at the moment and in deep water. Another excellent lake to try would be Bala. I am going to fish it a few times because it gets less attention that Llangorse - heavily fished pike are more difficult to catch and they don't like pressure. Bala is big and doesn't get the pressure. If you are having to drive it doesn't really matter which way you go and another hour is neighter here nor there.
Simon Everett
Staffordshire.
Fishing kayaks:
White& Orange Dorado
Olive Scupper Pro
Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks
Red White Skua
White & Orange Duo

#13 Mark Crame

Mark Crame

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 04:46 AM

That's great Simon, maybe a good plan forming!! if I can persuade him - and his shifts allow - I can share the driving with him if you wouldn't mind him using the yak - and could either come via Uttoxeter and pick up a yak or meet you there. Paddles/pfd and anchors we're ok for - haven't considered a drogue, might be worth me looking into.

s2vto - if I come I can lend you rods/reels, I have a fair selection. I'm rapidly running out of lures though. Can make you some traces up easily enough too.
Wetter than an otter's pocket.

#14 Martin Hurst

Martin Hurst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Fishing , Soccer , cricket and rugby League

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

As Nifty said the skiers are away the second weekend in November. I'll try and tie the lodge down to a couple of dates and run from there :) For those without a yak you can hire a rowing boat :schmoll:
Ok Prowler 13

#15 GB

GB

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Shooting, Coasteering

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:39 AM

Sounds great to me. Only 2 hrs drive for me but would rather stop over, in a lodge sounds better than a tent in november.

As for dates I'm easy as I'm supposed to work every weekend so it matters not which 1 I skip.

I might even have a new yak to try out by then too.

:sun: :sun: Happy days :sun: :sun:

Edited by GB, 27 September 2006 - 07:40 AM.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire
Kayak's
OK Prowler Trident Yellow
Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com
Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow
Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)
Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

#16 s2vto

s2vto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

That's great Simon, maybe a good plan forming!! if I can persuade him - and his shifts allow - I can share the driving with him if you wouldn't mind him using the yak - and could either come via Uttoxeter and pick up a yak or meet you there. Paddles/pfd and anchors we're ok for - haven't considered a drogue, might be worth me looking into.

s2vto - if I come I can lend you rods/reels, I have a fair selection. I'm rapidly running out of lures though. Can make you some traces up easily enough too.

cheers, sounds like i will be coming then :thumbs:

i have a 12lb class euroboat, a spinning rod and a 12-20 class boat rod but no pike tackle
OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,
Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:
OK Drifter Angler
Cool Otter Impulse

#17 richi

richi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Interests:kayak fishing,reggae music,kayak fishing!

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:20 PM

cheers, sounds like i will be coming then :thumbs:

i have a 12lb class euroboat, a spinning rod and a 12-20 class boat rod but no pike tackle

there will probably be a few people using 12lb euroboats--me for sure :thumbs:
Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW
previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5
longest paddle:65 miles
top speed under sail 11.1mph

#18 Starvinmarvin

Starvinmarvin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Interests:Kayak and Saltwater Fly Fishing

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

Quite fancy this myself, was hoping to get there earlier this year but ran out of time. Please put me down for a definite maybe.

Sm :)
http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro
Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)
Ocean Kayak Trident 15
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)
Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

#19 phooey

phooey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, Fishing, Martial Art, Cycling.

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

I like the sound of this one - pike fishing is so easy 'cos if its food they will eat it and if it isn't food they'll TRY and eat it !

My kinda fish :P
Prowler 13 in MANGO.
Sweeeeet.....:)
Kaskazi Dorado
comes with swimming pool as standard

#20 nifty

nifty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:angling

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

Richi & S2vto, Leave your euroboats at home, they're way over the top :blink:
The gear you'd use for Bass spinning is more than tough enough for any Pike, with 12-15lb mono on the reel.
If your going to use deadbaits then get a few wire traces knocked up with size 8 semi barbed trebles, and all you'll need then is a few swan shot, and a float if you want one, and you're away.
If you fancy lure fishing, then perhaps drop down to 10lb mono or 20-30lb braid (better) and wire traces (30lb or so) with DECENT link swivels (crosslocks) and a selection of Mepps type lures (Ondex are good) and thats it.
Remember to take a good long pair of forceps, at least 10 inches, and some good wire cutters. Landing nets may make life easier to begin with if your not used to handling Pike but you'll soon do away with it once you've had a fish hooked upto the mesh. Just grab the trace then run your finger under the gills ( not too far or you'll start leaking red stuff) and lift the pikes head and he'll automatically open his trap to let you get at the hooks.
They're good sport but treat them like big Bull Huss and that's about what you've got :D
Stu. :)
Posted Image