tomorrows meeting!

Guest muttley

With respect Wurzel yes I have seen the part timers, the boat boat I worked on has been sold on a couple of times, the skipper now runs a IP24 part time, there are now a few small fast neting boats that wiz out for the best bit of tide shoot their gear, haul it then wiz back again.

I dont know if this puts more pressure on the upper reaches of our rivers, but I do know there are far fewer bass there than there was even three years ago.

How do you see over fishing then, please do tell.

Hello Sam

No doubt they do make a difference to your sport, the bigger mls and mesh increase will help. I have not noticed any more of them in my area.

This year was not so good for bass, I think it was the same all along the se coast, it was all a bit topsy turvy with more fish showing during November than there were in September or October.

Over Fishing

This is what I have experienced, I suspect it has similarities with the big offshore fleets.

Say you have a sand bank, on this sand bank there is 100 stone of bass, they have moved in from the thousands of square miles of surrounding sea. Now if 10 boats turn up and net that bank every day for a week, that 100 stone is shared out by 10 boats, say it works out at 10 stone per boat for the week, not enough to make a living, that bank will not support 10 boats, it's being over fished. some thing has to give so some boats will go out of business others will find something else to do, leaving just 1 boat to carry on working that bank were there is plenty enough fish for it to make a good living.

That will have to do I'm off to bed.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Wurzel,

You must have seen the picture of the sand eel trawler on John Brennans web site, tied up the dock waiting to be unloaded? I know it was a old photo but i think its worth looking at again with regards to over fishing?

regards barry

Hello Barry

It does not explain why other stocks of unfished sand eel have depleted at the same rate, even RSB have now agreed that over fishing is not the cause of the depletion of sand eels. commercial fisher men at one point were demanding an apology.

RSPB even

I fish to live and live to fish.

Thank you for that Wurzel, thats pritty much how we all see over fishing I think.

How about previous quotes, 'the trawlers look more like submarines entering port?

cheers barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

How about previous quotes, 'the trawlers look more like submarines entering port?

cheers barry

Hi Barry,

Would it be better if a bigger boat caught the same and remained less "submarine like" so as not to upset onlookers? I'd hope JB would relook at that one; plays on emotions but means what?

There has been a lot of mud thrown at the Danish sandeel boats over the years; UK commercials, the greens, and anglers have all laid into them. Trouble is that when you look for evidence its just not there.

All the stuff i've seen supports wurzels point; why are the "fished" (and they are, or rather were, heavily fished) and the "unfished" sandeel stocks (sandeels are not one big stock but many) failing in unison atm?

The biggest fishery in the North Sea (sandeels not cod) has "collapsed" over the past couple of years, even though, as I understand it anyway, it was sticking to the fisheries scientists advice.

That seems more worrying to me than "submarine trawlers" ?.

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Hi Barry,

Would it be better if a bigger boat caught the same and remained less "submarine like" so as not to upset onlookers? I'd hope JB would relook at that one; plays on emotions but means what?

There has been a lot of mud thrown at the Danish sandeel boats over the years; UK commercials, the greens, and anglers have all laid into them. Trouble is that when you look for evidence its just not there.

All the stuff i've seen supports wurzels point; why are the "fished" (and they are, or rather were, heavily fished) and the "unfished" sandeel stocks (sandeels are not one big stock but many) failing in unison atm?

The biggest fishery in the North Sea (sandeels not cod) has "collapsed" over the past couple of years, even though, as I understand it anyway, it was sticking to the fisheries scientists advice.

That seems more worrying to me than "submarine trawlers" ?.

Chris

Thanks for your comments Chris. I agree the issue is not at present trawling for the sand eel that is the immediate problem as i understand that some of the boats cannot even reach their target quotes. However, apparently there are huge or was recently huge factory ships targeting the sand eel. My overall concern is that have they been all ready taken, if not where have they gone, or is there something that is preventing them from recovering. Again i consider this to be a very important link in the chain. I further understand that there could well be a further ban on fishing for them after they said that the fishery was sustaianable in the not so distant past.

cheers barry

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Thanks for your comments Chris. I agree the issue is not at present trawling for the sand eel that is the immediate problem as i understand that some of the boats cannot even reach their target quotes. However, apparently there are huge or was recently huge factory ships targeting the sand eel. My overall concern is that have they been all ready taken, if not where have they gone, or is there something that is preventing them from recovering. Again i consider this to be a very important link in the chain. I further understand that there could well be a further ban on fishing for them after they said that the fishery was sustaianable in the not so distant past.

cheers barry

Barry,

"huge factory ships" ? Who says what is a "factory ship" ? or what is "huge" . I doubt a 300ft multimillion purser feels huge 100 miles off Shetland in january....

Why do you believe this HUGE fleet of FACTORY ships apparently cannot catch what the scientists tell them they should be able to?

When did this split between what these guys do, and the nonsense we now read in our papers occur? can we put a date on it?

Edited by Jaffa

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Barry,

"huge factory ships" ? Who says what is a "factory ship" ? or what is "huge" . I doubt a 300ft multimillion purser feels huge 100 miles off Shetland in january....

Why do you believe this HUGE fleet of FACTORY ships apparently cannot catch what the scientists tell them they should be able to?

When did this split between what these guys do, and the nonsense we now read in our papers occur? can we put a date on it?

Yes i would rather be on a 300 foot trawler than a 30 footer that far off in Jan. I understand again as in my last post that the recommendation is to consider closing the sand eel fishery after what seems to be a short period of time when the advise was that it is sustainable. Its all very well using the backup of scientists when the argument fits, however there is many instances on this forum where the comments are that they don't know what they are talking about and its no use as their proposals will not be taken up by the men in suits.

cheers barry