Bass in Guernsey

What your missing is that the pair team allegedly got rid of several tons so that they could continue to fish for the breeding shoal. What is the point of a landing limit if the fish are simply passed to another boat (and possibly another and another) until they have all reached their limit, ther'll be potters landing 5 ton soon...

the idea is that when you have your fill YOU STOP FISHING

One thing though whats to stop the laden boats from plotting the shoal and radioing a fix to their mate, although i know nothing about comercial Bass fishing and am not sure if i can see a problem in what these boats did, (see Jim Ropers comment/ question)

I for one would not lik to xpress any kind of firm opinion on this without knowledge of th regs.

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing though whats to stop the laden boats from plotting the shoal and radioing a fix to their mate, although i know nothing about comercial Bass fishing and am not sure if i can see a problem in what these boats did, (see Jim Ropers comment/ question)

I for one would not lik to xpress any kind of firm opinion on this without knowledge of th regs.

They are under investigation for breaking the law. They don't need to plot the shoal because everyone knows where they are at this particular time of the year in guernsey. It is in place to try and protect the fish stock, if it was not in place they would continue untill nothing is left. These guys belong to a fishing association who's president has spent of lot of time and effort speaking to both the press and the sfc last year complaining about the rsa decimating the fish stocks around the islands, Does it not stink of hypocrisy in your mind, it does in mine. At present they are also trying to keep the jersey boats out as they say that the fishery will collapse. Jersey are saying they have historic right as have the french. Perhaps they are trying to ruin it in house to stop anyone else getting the fish? :schmoll:

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The latest news that I am hearing is that this is all above board and perfectly legal as the catching vessel gave the fish to the other to avoid them simply being dumped (8 tonnes overcaught...). apparently this is perfectly legal.

I think this gives the question: "What the hell is the point of a landing limit?".

Will be watching the outcome of this with interest, jut to see how much of a mockery this all is. What numpty created these rules?

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

The latest news that I am hearing is that this is all above board and perfectly legal as the catching vessel gave the fish to the other to avoid them simply being dumped (8 tonnes overcaught...). apparently this is perfectly legal.

I think this gives the question: "What the hell is the point of a landing limit?".

Will be watching the outcome of this with interest, jut to see how much of a mockery this all is. What numpty created these rules?

Just so happens that a brixham boat was in the area at the time then and it happens that it was also empty, how conveniant. Now that they know they can do that it will pay them to go around in a shoal of boats to do the business then. So that was 36 ton at one swoop was It? What about putting back any that were still alive, no can't do that. If it was legal, why did the third boat feel the need to go back to brixham to unload?

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The third boat was a Guernsey vessel, he just steamed all the way to Brixham... The main haul was landed in france, we don't see much of the big trawled hauls here, not enough market.

No, it was 28 tonne total but they only needed 20 it seems, perhaps the boats are on a 5/15 limit this month? (i.e. they have to elect either 5 a week or 15 a month in advance).

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

They are under investigation for breaking the law. They don't need to plot the shoal because everyone knows where they are at this particular time of the year in guernsey. It is in place to try and protect the fish stock, if it was not in place they would continue untill nothing is left. These guys belong to a fishing association who's president has spent of lot of time and effort speaking to both the press and the sfc last year complaining about the rsa decimating the fish stocks around the islands, Does it not stink of hypocrisy in your mind, it does in mine. At present they are also trying to keep the jersey boats out as they say that the fishery will collapse. Jersey are saying they have historic right as have the french. Perhaps they are trying to ruin it in house to stop anyone else getting the fish? :schmoll:

Cheers Barry

This is why i asked. It sounds very hypocritical to me, they sound like they are a real gang of cowboys who are arrogant, greedy and stupid enough to believe veryone else is stupid enough not to see through their little plot.

Had to find out what was going on properly.

If I ever get the hang of it they'll bloody well ban it!

By the way anyone fancy sponsoring me in the WSOP?

The third boat was a Guernsey vessel, he just steamed all the way to Brixham... The main haul was landed in france, we don't see much of the big trawled hauls here, not enough market.

No, it was 28 tonne total but they only needed 20 it seems, perhaps the boats are on a 5/15 limit this month? (i.e. they have to elect either 5 a week or 15 a month in advance).

Many thanks for the update and info. So the commercial guys only care for themselves and not the islanders. They again make such a song and dance about the local fish stocks, the protection of them and at the end of the day do not care for anyone else, they land the fish and sell them elsewere and not in the local market, how interesting.

Just so happens that a brixham boat was in the area at the time then and it happens that it was also empty, how conveniant. Now that they know they can do that it will pay them to go around in a shoal of boats to do the business then. So that was 36 ton at one swoop was It? What about putting back any that were still alive, no can't do that. If it was legal, why did the third boat feel the need to go back to brixham to unload?

Why should they have done anything illegal ?

It takes two boats to pair trawl, at the moment there are 3 boats pair trawling for sprats in this area, once one is full and heads for the harbour the other takes up the tow, makes good sense to me and is perfectly legal.

With a catch like that it makes sense to spread it around, it's no good flooding one market.

It might seem to your angling perception that they are being greedy, but in reality to the commercial fishermen they are just making up for all the days when they catch very little or nothing, all fishermen rely on a bumper catch once in a while, it's the carrot that leads you to sea time after time and makes the job what it is.

I fish to live and live to fish.

It takes two boats to pair trawl, at the moment there are 3 boats pair trawling for sprats in this area, once one is full and heads for the harbour the other takes up the tow, makes good sense to me and is perfectly legal.

With a catch like that it makes sense to spread it around, it's no good flooding one market.

It might seem to your angling perception that they are being greedy, but in reality to the commercial fishermen they are just making up for all the days when they catch very little or nothing, all fishermen rely on a bumper catch once in a while, it's the carrot that leads you to sea time after time and makes the job what it is.

Hi Peter

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

steve

Mornin Wurzel,

If this is the case and it is legal then i do not have a problem with it. There must be some thing not quite right in this instance if defra and the local sfc had to get involved or is this the norm? My other problem is Hypocricy and attitude of their reps, ok, it appears they have found a way around the quota, take what they like, fine, then they have the gaul to suggest that the rsa and the jersey boats are the ones that will damage the fishery. Fishings fine made a point that these are the breeding stock, also when they tagged some three hundred of these they appeared to spread out and were captured up and down the channel. I hope for all of us that these fish are being trawled sustaianably, but on the other hand they are not as the commercial reps say that the rsa are the ones who are catching them all at the same time and damaging the fishery.

The final point on your post, is it normal for these guys to take the locally caught fish out of the local economy to get the best price, or only on the rare occasion as you intimate? None of the islanders saw any of those fish.That must be a five hour crossing for the boat each way so the price differance must be enormous. Cheers Wurzel.

Edited by barry luxton