Bic Bilbao Angler test.

maidstonemike

Hi Mike

The negative comments came about due to an everything is rosy review of the Bic. Since being on this board you have been singing the praises of your Bics without placing comments in context - only now you are starting to do so. One Bic owner on this thread mentioned that they won't head out in more than a F3 - thats the type of info which will be useful to a potential purchaser.

For what its worth I nearly bought a BIC Bilbao myself when I first started kayak fishing and I think Simon Everett approached BIC for a kayak for the Boat Fishing Monthly kayak project - they didn't oblige, Ocean Kayak were more foreward thinking and provided a Prowler 13

I don't agree with your comments about aethetics and silly names being the main differences between models. Again this kind of information serves to confuse the newcomer to the sport. A couples of inches difference in beam and a few feet in length can make a difference to the performance in a kayak - hull shape, weight, and volume will play a part too.

To call another member a prat and then go on to say lets be nice can we talk about something else just doesn't sound right.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done for trying, but these guys just will not listen. They forget that Bic have been making surfboards etc for over 20 years, and their kaykas have this experience built in. Who cares anyway? We love ours, and as for the pratt who says he wouldn't take one out on a pond, well, just look at the other kayaks on this site, Ocean? Looks like a bright blue bath tub to me, and how much safer are they? Absolutely none at all. All small craft are dangerous if not used with commen sense. All kayaks are small vunerable little plastic tubs, some are a little bit longer, some a bit wider, but none are meant to operate in anything but fairly calm seas. Apart from aesthetic preferences, and silly names, there's not much to choose between them really. You pay your money and make your choice. Some want an out and out angling yak, others like me use it for angling and coastal trips for fitness, and dare I say it, fun!

Now, can we all get down to being nice, and talk about something else, like the WEATHER, or FISHING!! This is getting very boring. :thumbs:

i think there is a big difference between a surfboard and a yak. so twenty years in boards means they can make kayaks ?????

only link is they both float . the name yaks have mean nothing , but there are a hell of a lot of ocean kayaks out there . and at the higher price range dorado's. rule

:rolleyes:

ps. on the anglers afloat forum on best kayak i see bic's have 0 votes .and prowler 13 has 26 votes :rolleyes:

Edited by jerseytrev

jerseytrev

LOCATION JERSEY C.I.

kayak ok prowler angler 13 (yellow) NZ

Think that it was me who said he wouldnt take it out on a boating lake at Alton Towers , not a pond. Stand by that , dont want to be upstaged by a tea cup :rolleyes: As for being a pratt , no offence taken , as it came from the person who described Tenby as a dump :yucky:

We deliberately go out in the summer in choppy seas for fun, because we know we are safe in this very stable competent kayak. None are meant to operate in anything but fairly calm seas

Your confusing me Mike <_<

Happy yaking :thumbs:

Edited by Martin Hurst

Ok Prowler 13

This thread has really put a smile on my face :rolleyes:

Good to see the banter still going,seeing as nobody can get much fishing done because of the good old British weather........ :oops: now someone will probably have a go at me for saying British :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

zzippy2.gif

forget that Bic have been making surfboards etc for over 20 years, and their kaykas have this experience built in.

i was open minded on this arguement until you posted this.

I have surfed for over 20 years in some of the worlds best waves when the conditions were spot on including mundaka at over 10 foot faces, le graviere 10-14foot faces, morrocan point breaks that would make you blanche and canarian reefs so shallow you can almost see the rock ledges/reef that will tear you to pieces if you come off.

as you say Bic have been making boards for an awful long time but they are cr@p they are heavy unmanouverable lumps of plastic that should be ridden by beginners (who have enough strength to get them to the waters edge)....oh of course you will see the marketing showing class surfers pulling huge manouvres but those guys can ride virtually anything and you don't actually see them pulling the manouvre off!!!!....if their expertese in surfboards have been instilled in kayaks then i can only assume that like their surfboards they are heavy, cumbersome and will only be bought by beginners who if they stick with the sport will progress onto something better before a season or two....sorry that comment backfired with me

john

Edited by lazy hooker

Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf. You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time.

Lady Helen Charter Boat Penarth S.Wales

www.ladyhelencharters.co.uk

if I fall off (which doesnt happen very often) I can get on it in less than ten seconds So dont knock the bilbaos they are good kayaks even if they are made by a biro company

Why would you keep falling off?

Are they that unstable?

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

We deliberately go out in the summer in choppy seas for fun.

Commonly known as dunking the biccy :D

:bigemo_harabe_net-163: :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Class

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I