• pellets
    • luncheon meat
    • artificial baits
  2. 2. best ground bait

• fishmeal ground baits (power mix)
    • sinking bread (freebies)
    • pellets
    • sweet corn

Bit of a difficult post this as so many different baits are equally as good as each other

the water you fish tends to differ as do the baits what one bait works well on one water may not nesserily work as well on another water.

but the baits which i tend to use more of would be boiles and pellets.

I read Steves post and no disrespect intended I assure you! BUT he nailed it for me.

ONLY thing I WOULD say is I have recently fished THREE waters which have NOT been fished at ALL in 50 years, 20 years and 12 years respectively. The ONLY bait I could get a bite on was.........BREAD. So whilst not the BEST bait, certainly the only one I have found WILL induce fish to feed? And that was to catch ANY fish! Be they Roach, Rudd, Carp or Hybrids.

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

• 2 years later...

Voted for boilies and pellets, but like to bring a few worms with me on all fishing trips. Some times a worm can get a Carp when all the high tec baits just will not work.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I agree with SB - no single best bait - when I and a few mates fished Redmire 4 summers ago - the only bait that would induce a bite for any of us was the humble maggot.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• 3 weeks later...

I have been toying with various baits a lot recently, here are a few that have or have not really worked so well...

Sweetcorn, ok for smaller carp, fed 2 pieces on a sz 12 hook seems to be producing a lot of 1 - 3lb'rs

Bread has not been good round my area of late, getting pecked to bits by smaller fish before large carp have had chance to get to it.

I have been making pellet style baits out of luncheon meat or potato as well.

Using a piece of 15 mm copper tube makes good selective size pellets of either.

Try really spicing the luncheon meat up with a good dose of paprika, chili and all spice powder, leave for a couple of days before use so the spices have plenty of chance to soak into meat.

Same for spuds, cut some 15 mm pellets again and soak for a few days in coffee, oxo and various spices.

Finally, a bait that has been working very well, take a trip to Lidl and get some of their mini salamis, spiced or smoked. cut into 1 inch long pieces us off cuts to add a pva bag full on cast...

A very tough long lasting hook bait that will put up with carp knocking it about, you can try taking a few pieces and again adding a few extras to them.

www.angling-uk.net

• 1 month later...
I have been toying with various baits a lot recently, here are a few that have or have not really worked so well...

Sweetcorn, ok for smaller carp, fed 2 pieces on a sz 12 hook seems to be producing a lot of 1 - 3lb'rs

Bread has not been good round my area of late, getting pecked to bits by smaller fish before large carp have had chance to get to it.

I have been making pellet style baits out of luncheon meat or potato as well.

Using a piece of 15 mm copper tube makes good selective size pellets of either.

Try really spicing the luncheon meat up with a good dose of paprika, chili and all spice powder, leave for a couple of days before use so the spices have plenty of chance to soak into meat.

Same for spuds, cut some 15 mm pellets again and soak for a few days in coffee, oxo and various spices.

Finally, a bait that has been working very well, take a trip to Lidl and get some of their mini salamis, spiced or smoked. cut into 1 inch long pieces us off cuts to add a pva bag full on cast...

A very tough long lasting hook bait that will put up with carp knocking it about, you can try taking a few pieces and again adding a few extras to them.

Fishing my notoriously hard to fish club water i had a go with bbq pepperami for the first time, 2 single figure carp followed within 20 mins, on another local water i used mussell 2 bag an 11lb (my first double carp) another bait that sometimes works for me is tinned chick peas.

Life is rather like a tin of sardines - we're all of us looking for the key.

I spend most of my time with wholemeal bread from Morrisons. It withstands all the small stuff a lot longer than any white bread I have tried. I had one cracking session pouring a little Caviar bait dip from Sbsbaits.com on it.

They've got a BOGOF offer on this week on all their baits.

Edited by Jim Roper

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net