• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Latimeria

Latimeria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hope they finally get round to doing it instead of just talking about it, and hope it works, but all that might happen is heavier seasonal die-off. They could do with a dose of perch plague over there as well.

http://www.abc.net.a...entists/7084586

#2 Bobj

Bobj

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, fossicking and photography

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Could not agree more. Then eradicate the crap in Tassie.

Re the Murray/Darling system; I remember that in 1972 at the Barwon River in Collarenerbri, one could easily dip an ordinary landing net and catch as many as 200 3 to 4 inch mudsuckers. The water was clear in those days, today it is long stretch of muddy pools. Indeed, in the late 1800s, paddle steamers regularly plied the river. No more, I am sad to say, due to bank erosion and redgums toppling into the river from all the mud sucking verminous crap.

Cheers, Bobj.

#3 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,110 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:58 PM

All,

Whilst I can hardly ever "get away" to carp fish much any longer I can still read about this amazing fish. I love almost every aspect of their adaptability.  Still, I can site example after example where bobj is RIGHT ON!.   Eradicate is a bit of a powerful word but I doubt that would be possible so it really doesn't matter.  The point is time after time carp are rightly accused of creating a severe imbalance in nature.  However, I am not especially fond of introducing a disease into the environment - for any reason - for any species.

The make great agricultural fertilizer.

Phone

Bobj,

My "record" is having caught 5 carp on a 6 hookpoint lure - and 4 were lip hooked.  All less than a pound.