Daiwa Tournament Landing Net Head Fault

Martin56

Anyone have one of these??

The slotted frame ends which fit into the connecting block, come apart (they're not meant to!!)

The block cross holes are tapped M4 so just need two M4 grub screws fitting - done mine, & OK now.

Not noticeable till you get a good fish thrashing about in it & the ends come apart.

Mine could just have been an unlucky, "Monday Morning Net" where the operator forgot to fit the screws. :sneaky2:

Cost me a 6 Lb carp on a Match Sunday just gone - had it in the net on my lap - frame came apart - fish fell on platform & it flapped back in before I could grab it!!

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

Martin,

Since they sell "replacement" nets I'd say you just got a Monday Morning piece of kit.

I don't have this net so I can't look but I'd bet dollars to donuts yours has/had a manufacturing error.

Phone

EDIT: In fact, my two Euro style landing nets are both built to lift fish horizontally out of the water. Picking up a fish Vertically would certainly break the handles. Under these circumstance the loop would come out of the block EVERY time you used the net as intended.

Edited by Phone

Fortunately I work in an Engineering factory & can always "BORROW" the odd screw/nut/washer/bolt etc. :ph34r:

Edited by Martin56

Martin,

Since they sell "replacement" nets I'd say you just got a Monday Morning piece of kit.

I don't have this net so I can't look but I'd bet dollars to donuts yours has/had a manufacturing error.

Phone

EDIT: In fact, my two Euro style landing nets are both built to lift fish horizontally out of the water. Picking up a fish Vertically would certainly break the handles. Under these circumstance the loop would come out of the block EVERY time you used the net as intended.

If I'm reading this right?? You could Epoxy the loop into the block in the absence of tapped holes.

Edited by Martin56

Martin,

Yes I suppose you could. However, the entire device would then be dependent on the weakest link - the netting itself. Not exactly sure what other purpose the block could serve if it's not to allow the net to be changed?

Phone

Martin,

Yes I suppose you could. However, the entire device would then be dependent on the weakest link - the netting itself. Not exactly sure what other purpose the block could serve if it's not to allow the net to be changed?

Phone

Araldite Rapid is heat resistant - but only up to 80 deg' C. So, if the frame is metal?? heat applied, from say a cigarette lighter will break down the epoxy to get it apart in order to replace the netting.

Is it a triangular net?

They shouldn't come apart if there's any tension across the front of the net surely?

I know less than zilch about round nets, never had one.

Is it a triangular net?

They shouldn't come apart if there's any tension across the front of the net surely?

I know less than zilch about round nets, never had one.

I have both types - there's nothing to go wrong with the triangular one, the threaded end fits through the formed loop (part of the frame)

Round net frames have two ends which slot into the block. (the frame ends have slots which fit into keyed block for anti rotation)

I have both types - there's nothing to go wrong with the triangular one, the threaded end fits through the formed loop (part of the frame)

Round net frames have two ends which slot into the block. (the frame ends have slots which fit into keyed block for anti rotation)

The below link shows where the Grub Screws fit in the block so it can be pulled apart in order to replace the netting, though mine has a blue Annodised metal block - not plastic like this one appears to be?? :

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwji7eqQiZ7VAhXovO0KHesKAmwYABAIGgJkZw&ae=1&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESEeD2bvjSvbMuMmj0pkUdMQtn&sig=AOD64_0BIhg80SSM_NceXnPWrha0jk4cFg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjxgOSQiZ7VAhUC1BoKHV8UCzkQvhcIMA&adurl=https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/daiwa-tournament-litepower-rubber-landing-nets%3Fgclid%3DCj0KCQjw78vLBRCZARIsACr4cxxhba_k3D6jxsI80A-lKzP1VmjAvUkTSuZILtrF6f-1fxyPjy2StlIaAkT9EALw_wcB

Edited by Martin56