Chesil Cove - Friday 13th October 2006

SpeciMan

Fished Chesil Cove with Zzippy yesterday morning.

Its the first time we've launched from Chesil - due to water and weather conditions I've had a number of aborted trips in recent weeks.

angler.jpg

With a very light easterly wind and little swell we launched from the corner of Chesil Cove. The corner of the Cove is a safer part of this 17 mile beach to launch from. Landing elsewhere along the beach may have your kayak resting on the shingle pointing skywards :D There is a flatter section of beach in the corner of the cove near the rocks.

launchpoint.jpg

Despite only a few hundred yards from car park to launch site, moving the kayaks along the beach was hard work.. we buddied up and with the two of us dragging and pushing each kayak we were able to make good headway on the large pebbles which make up the shingle storm beach here. I launched first & took a wave over the bow. My cockpit got soaked but no matter the Scupper Pro is a wet ride and I dress for it. Zzippys launch was more graceful but soon after I think he took a wave over the side which knocked his fishfinder off! Humminbirds float; he scooped her up, remounted her and off we went.

postlaunch.jpg

As the tide was flooding and the current was heading up towards Portland Bill we went with the flow. Using the GPS we found a few wrecks of ships which had been smashed up against the surrounding rocks in years past. Zzippy tied off to a nearby buoy and I tied my kayak off to his. When there are a shortage of buoys close to one another and where there is a good chance of losing an anchor we often fish like this. We usually fish like this at night too so we can be in talking and photo snapping distance of each other. It's also harder to pass food, bait and beer between us when the kayaks are further apart (btw I'm joking about the beer - Zzippy usually has a bottle of scotch while I settle for brandy).

Despite being on a good mark and in 70 feet of water, the fishing was slow. We picked up a mackeral each on the troll up to the wrecks and Zzippy caught a bream and a bull huss. We had expected more fish activity than we experienced. Zzippy's bull huss made up for the lack of bites - his fish was a good size and a personal best for him.

unhooking.jpg

happychappy.jpg

Also, his bream was of large plate size but unfortunately it squeezed out through a hole in his fish bag. The bag had been dropped over the side and the bream swam off! There was a change in menu plan in Zzippys household that night :(:D

At lunchtime we went onto slack water and paddled back to the Cove, the swell had picked up a bit and we were expecting a dunking on our return. Every item we had was dismantled and stored in the front hatch. When we came in closer to the landing point we managed to time the wave set & came back in upright :D

prelaunch.jpg

:secret:Zzippys Bull Huss caught on camera :secret:

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

The bag had had been dropped over the side and the bream swam off! There was a change in menu plan in Zzippys household that night :(:D

How was the Huss & chips Zzippy? :rolleyes:

nice report lads shame the fishing is slow this w/e :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Great read and photo's. :thumbs: It's good to see somewhere I have actually fished myself and remember all to well how difficult it is to walk and carry gear over them pebbles, get's very deep very quickly as well. :blink:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Great read and photo's. :thumbs: It's good to see somewhere I have actually fished myself and remember all to well how difficult it is to walk and carry gear over them pebbles, get's very deep very quickly as well. :blink:

Nice to have you aboard Ant---love your show on Saturdays :thumbs: Does Dec fish too?

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Thanks for taking those photos Speciman :thumbs:

Well what can I say about the film clip :clap3: I really liked the music in the background and the title. :lol: I will have to have a play with my pc to see how you do these things.

Thats a bitchin' Huss mate a big WELL DONE

you should be stoked!

Hiya Jonnyboy

It was one mad Huss I had.I couldnt believe how strong it was.It had about 4 attempts at bitting my hand and leg.But I was well chuffed as its my PB.

zzippy2.gif

How was the Huss & chips Zzippy? :rolleyes:

nice report lads shame the fishing is slow this w/e :thumbs:

The Huss went back alive Richi.So I was left with my all time Favourite Dinner

BEANS ON TOAST :lol::oops:

zzippy2.gif