Weil's disease

Jim Gibbinson

Jim

Salt in your groundbait will do no harm. If you taste many of the continental style mixes (I have)

a large proportion contain salt allready, Some Dutch and Belgian anglers have been known to add relatively large amounts of salt to their groundbaits in certain circumstances.

On the subject of Weils disiese I think you are right to think about precautions and we should all keep it in mind. I used to fish with a guy about 12 years ago a large healthy man ( think Brian Blessed). Overnight he disappered from the local match scene. About 18 months later he reapeared looking more like Mr Bean in apearance. He had caught Weils, it was thought from the Grand Union at West Drayton though I am not certain how they were so sure. The guy at one point had been in fear for his life and was in hospital for months and recuperating for a year. Ever since I have been fussy a bout cuts when fishing and never eat food with my hands untill I have had chance to wash after a session.

I also try (unsuccesfully) to avoid venues with large rat polulation and never dispose of surpluss bait on the bank as I dontwant to encourage rats.

Jim

most groundbaits contain alot of salt as worm on the end says.

If you are that worried just use cooled down boiled water.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

"The infection enters through broken, grazed or cut skin (especially on the hands and feet)and sometimes through the linings of the mouth, nose and eyes."

I'm beginning to wonder about the wisdom of rolling cigs while fishing ...

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

At last. A topic on AN that I can actually claim to know about! Being in the construction industry Leptospirosis is a very serious threat.

It is spread through rat's urine. Did you know, when a rat drinks it urinates at the same time, it is a nervous reaction. therefore puddles are the most serious threat. if a rat drinks from a puddle it pees in it. In construction we have had to educate people from the age old habit of washing hands in puddles. No need now due to the good wellfare facilities on sites. Primary infection is caused through contact with broken skin. You should never fish with open wounds. Rivers, in theory should not create too greater threat due to flowing water and the dilution of the Leptospirosi. The biggest problem with Leptospirosis is in fact with it's symptoms. Leptospirosis causes flue like symptoms. you go to your doctor and without a blue card the doctor dismisses your condition as flue. 2 weeks time you have a real chance of death. It can however be treated in the first few weeks with simple anti-biotics. Easily cureable and no lasting affects. Biggest problem is always this time of year when everyone thinks they have flue. If you've been exposed to any environment where rats may be and have flue symptoms TELL your GP

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Sorry forgot to say. In the construction industry we have a great saying. "PPE is the last resort"

PPE is personal protective equipment. To eliminate the risk, you should not be looking at salt, gloves or anything else. avoid contact with the risk. (not practical I know). But you never know, my MD may be an angler and reading this

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

GlennB, I would wonder about the wisdom of rolling cigs at any time!

Weils disease could end up being the least of your problems!

Regards

Dave Olley (ex smoker, and smug as hell!!)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

A Worm On One End........:

Newt

I am glad you made that last post. I had visions of Jim dumping salt into the local lakes to make them safe.

He'd only do that if he was thinking of putting some mullet in :)

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

One of my daughters, Sarah, was diagnosed with Weils disease. She was in isolation with another little girl who actually died of it, it was a horrible experience. Sarah's problem turned out to be a form of brain tumour that, thank God, she survived. But being next door to the little mite that died has always made me wary when piking. No, I don't use those awful chain mail gloves but do use a heavy duty household glove to chin the pike. Its not worth the risk.