White rag

M.P

Typical politicians answer from MP :D

If you are not prepared to tell us where you dig and I understand why (albeit I live in the west of Ireland so I suspect I'm not a threat ) perhaps you would enlighten us on where the worms live, tide etc. and how you go about digging them...

And a big thanks to all the contributors so far.

And yes I have found that mussel beds found over sand or mud are excellent rag worm sites, but I can't help feeling guilty smashing them up with the fork given they are such good venues for plaice...

FWIW...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Did anyone check out the mail order sites?

If they do it they may be the answer, and probably cheaper than a 150 mile round trip!!

I only have to go 1 mile, but am often too busy at work, so would be of use to me as well.

B.A.S.S. member

I believe that one of the Southend tackle dealers used to mail them.

A number of southern match anglers used to do a trip to The Wash for 'snakes' ...

no one wants to give exact locations, these days.

:P

Since changing job I have already informed my new boss that this has had a significant effect on my fishing! :)

Will be travelling to a few places in the Med and Cayman as well, so a travel fishing rod is in order.

And I would never doss off to go fishing..... :D

B.A.S.S. member

there r a few places on the suffolk beaches were u can dig whites and snakes quite easy, but should i say where, then i think u would find me 1 morning hanging from a tree.

Now sure if you guys all have this magazine at your tackle shops but its a free 1 that comes out every month and is full of reports and adverts (most tackle shops get them and end up using them to wrap the worms up)

Its called Sea Angling News,, anyway i have had a quick look in there and heres a addy for mail order for whites.

Weymouth Angling Centra, The old Harbour, 24 Trinity Road, Weymouth, Dorset DT4 8TJ, Tel 01305 788881

Sammy,s Fishing Tackle @ Bait, Cabin Boatyard,Bridge Road,Bursledon, Southhampton, Tele 023 8040 6378

Theres serveral more aswell, if u have no luck with these

Well well well, how to dig, where to dig, when to dig. If i told you the exact location of our hotspot i would lay money on it that you would not be very happy with your results, infact you would probably never try again, the only thing that would happen is every Tom-Dick and Harry would turn the beaches into something that looked like a bombing raid had taken place.

Finding white rag beds is like trying to find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

HA post mention the Wash, thats as close as you need to know.

You can only dig these worms on mega low tides, you get about 30-40 mins digging if your lucky. You also have the risk getting cut off by the tides, and possible problems with quicksand.

Hence the reson why these things are hard to come by. Sure i could tell you where to go, but like i said you would be wasting your time, you need to be taken and shown by a person who knows what he is doing, thats the safest and only productive way of collecting a dozen or more two/three times a year.

If you want to know more you can E'Mail me, but i still won't tell you the exact places...SORRY.