Pike

Norfolkdan

Anyone know of a decent venue around Norfolk for catching small jack pike on spinners?

I hear Taverham is quite good???? Blickling looks really good, with lots of jacks around, but not allowed to fish for them until October...will they still take spinners in winter time?

The broads is gonna be fished, but I must admit it's not my favourite place.

Any idea's guys? :)

Dan

Norfolkdan:

...will they still take spinners in winter time?

Yes, absolutely.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Dan I don't that many pike fishery in Norfolk will allow you to pike fish in the summer but on this link

http://www.fishooked.com/

Click on the UK map of the area you want and it will give you all the information like telephone numbers and address of thousands of fishery. Also check on the rules of piking in the summer when contacting the owners/mangers

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Dan I'm amazed that you're in Norfolk, want to catch pike, but its not you're favourite place.. .when most of us that fish there and travel long distances to get there..love it.

Get yourself a copy of John Wilsons paperback on Fishing Norfolk and Suffolk, tells you everything you need to know.

You wont be able to single out waters that only contain jacks. The broads and the rivers contain a fair sprinkling of all sizes and although a small lure will tend to sort out the small ones, it will also attract the occasional larger fish so you need to be adequately geared up for anything. That means wire traces, unhooking mat, long nose pliers and a rod heavy enough to get a decent fish in quickly.

Blickling is very picturesque particularly in the winter when its quiet, but I wouldnt put it top of my list. I've fished it a fair few times on the fly and lure but more for the solitude and surroundings. Its not overloaded with fish, (and your mobile goes dead in the middle of the lake)

I appreciate the bankside access is sometimes difficult but John Wilson's book is very helpful in pointng out where boats are neccessary.

[ 20. June 2005, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

That's the one thing I don't like about the broads. It's so busy, when you don't have a boat. Boat traffic is rediculous too, but you can get to places away from it all...but not on the bank. Although, if I look a bit harder, I could probaly find somewhere a bit more quiet.

Will try Blickling in winter too, as like the place a lot, and have found where a lot of the pike are..

Dan

I agree Dan, a boat helps, is almost a nescessity. There are many places, such as the Waveney above Beccles, where you can bank fish and will see few boats, even in the summer. You will need a Bungay Cherry Tree ticket though. During the winter the only boats you will see will probably be other anglers. But as for being a jack only water, don't know many of them!

Ooops. I didn't mean a water that only holds jacks, I just love having a bit of fun with the little ones, wouldn't mind a big mother taking a spinner that's for sure Biggest I've had on spinner was from the broads and that was 11lbs. Had a 15 and 18 deadbaiting there, but that was in winter (still busy then!!)

:)

"You will need a Bungay Cherry Tree ticket though."

Are they easy to obtain Peter?

Dan

I went to the river bure and fished with spinners. The local fishermen round their complain that they struggle to land fish silver fish as they keep getting hits of pike. I fished and caught four jacks in 30 mins. They were only small though, even for jacks, the biggest was 6lb. Well worth it though.