Slaughter of Bass

Shads

Folks, do any of you read the Shooting Times?

If you do page 51 - Here's to a Happy Monday? If you don't, get to your local WH Smiths library and read it, its bloody disgusting, there are two(2) pictures included, which show over 100 bass, mainly small, caught and killed in a fishing session out of weymouth on a CHARTER boat.

Only 5 anglers and over 100 bass, a good day? yes, but why kill them ALL?

What a bloody outrage!!

The Shooting Times have had a scathing E-mail from me too, 2 bloody pages of it, doubt they will publish it though! should have got H.A. to write it!

Mike

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to sling mud, but the skipper is named in the article as Pat Carlin. Not saying it was down to him or slaggin him off, don't know the guy, just repeating what was written and pictured in the article.

Mike

[ 28. November 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Shads ]

We certainly seem to be supplying them with sufficient ammunition to shoot us!! :(

From the Association of Sea Fisheries Committees of England and Wales response to the Prime Minister’ Strategey Unit Consultation on fisheries

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/su/fishconsult.../org/asfcew.pdf

‘Sea Anglers undoubtedly contribute to the local (tourism) economy but they also

represent a pressure on fish stocks possibly not less than the local inshore fleet in some

areas.

Retention of fish by sea anglers (particularly boat anglers) needs to be addressed.

The Netherlands Government has recently clamped down on anglers selling their catch at fish auctions.

If the Government believes that it is essential to have a viable commercial fishing industry to supply a significant part of the country's diet, then the interests of that commercial fishing industry really ought to take precedence when looking at marine resources, over recreational opportunities and tourism.

At the moment the industry does not think that the balance is reasonable.’

From an article written by the Chairman of the Devon Sea Fisheries Committee (giving his personal views) in the Marine Conservation Society Magazine

‘Even angling is having a large effect on fish stocks. More leisure time, easier access to the sea, light portable boats, reliable outboard engines, echo sounders, GPS navigators and efficient equipment have put into the hands of the angler the ability to fish in a commercial way.

Almost one million anglers must have some effect on stocks, yet they have no controls.

Recently, here in the Southwest, commercial boats have been limited to 50kg of cod a month, yet the angler can catch and keep what he wants - and some angling boats catch several hundred kilos a trip.

It is not just the commercial fisherman affecting stocks!’

We may soon find ourselves banned from landing certain fish, and allowed just a kilo (or maybe 2) of fish per angler per trip, however ridiculous that may seem to us. :(

Tight Lines - leon

[ 28. November 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Very sad - I don't think one can argue against keeping your catch for the table, as long as it's sizable etc... I have been out on at least 20 charter sessions this year where the anglers insist on keeping their fish, only to get to shore and turn around to say "Nah mate, I don't really want them after all" and that is after preparation! They don’t go to waste and truth be told - the healthy ones are sneaked back and the badly hooked ones switched over. But, it would be nice if they were returned in the first instance. A hard dilemma for charter skippers who are ecologically aware? Crushing the barbs has an enormous benefit as they will do untold damage.

[ 29. November 2003, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: SandTiger ]

Leon Roskilly:

The Netherlands Government has recently clamped down on anglers selling their catch at fish auctions.

Sorry Leon but that is one of the biggest jokes going the rounds at the moment :(

I know one fishing club who's chairman is a fish merchant. At least 6 of the club members are illegal gill netters and land there fish directly into his cold store. Every Sunday the envelopes are handed out "pay day".

I also know of a restraunt that pays €2.75 a kilo for head on Cod

I also know of several men that wait for charter boats to come in and pay cash for the catch.

Common Skate and dodgy Conger have also found there way to Scheveningen fish market :(

Disgusting about the Bass :mad:

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Just in case you want to rant at the skipper here`s his homepage http://www.deepsea.co.uk/boats/channel_chi...ftain/index.htm

His boats name is Cara Cara and not Channel Chieftain, Cheiftain was sold some considerable time ago.

In case some of you recognise the boat (Davy?) it`s the one that Davy Holt thought looked like Perigrine in Chris Caines` comedy bass video.

:mad: :mad: Paul. :mad: :mad:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

I saw Pat out today at the meet of the Cattistock hunt at Abbotsbury.

He is one of our regular beaters.

There have been Bass everywhere this summer. Pity I've had too much overtime to do!

One chap, that I work with, has had over 30 bass off the beach this summer, between him and his mate. They haven't been out that much.

One of the other beaters had 7 bass and was back from the beach within an hour and a half of leaving home one day a few weeks back.

As long as the fish are all eaten, not dumped like some match catches, I've got no problem with it.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net