Greenpeace

Ian Burrett

big_cod:

3 whitby trawlers landed over 500 boxes of cod from inside of 5mile this week feeding on herring spawn

500 boxes each or shared between the 3 boats?

What sort of an impact would that amount of fish have on the boats quota's. How many boxes are they allowed to land each year?

What size are the fish they are landing?

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big_cod:

-THAT THE INSHORE COD OF WHITBY HAS ALL BUT GONE,  

A major rule in marketing is to tell everyone why your product is superior to the others, or in this case why they should pay good money for the service you offer - I guess the writer of the article had done his homework and set about doing exactly that. What proof there is of that claim other than his word im not so sure.

I read a nice article in TSF recently that rediculed this inshore theory stating that there are still lots

of fish on the inshore grounds. The catches of these trawlers seem to back up this story.

Are there any big pair teams from other area's down here yet?

I bet that Navey boat is busy keeping an eye on em all.

Old man of the sea. You claim to be objective and unbiased. Time will tell I guess.

Can you give me your unbiased thoughts on the allegations of illegal fishing within the uk. Ie over quota landings etc?

Quote from old man of the sea.

despite what Big Cod has to say, trawling is a method of fishing that is on the decline. I tried to factually point out how many trawlers are actually still working in our local area, but Big Cod seemed to take offence at this.

I asked this question earlier but you seemed to ignore it.

Yes admittedly there are fewer trawlers. Days at sea are less and the fish so thin on the ground at times that the boats are taking on different forms of work. I agree with you on this point.

However With the method of pair trawling becoming ever more populer and with other equipment advances the catching potential of the remaining boats must have improved somewhat. I am unaware of the exact figures but have heared it from some sources that a pair team has the catching potential of 10 single trawl boats. If that were true then the catching potential of the remaining boats could still be near or above that of when every port was stuffed with boats back in the 70's and 80's.

What are your thoughts on that point?

Old Man of the Sea:

3. DEFRA and the Royal Navy are starting to show fishermen that they have teeth. Every now and again they bite the wrong man for the wrong reasons, and the rules and regulations are so complicated that DEFRA and the Navy have trouble interpreting them themselves. Unfortunately, the big problem is that they growl at and bite the British commercial fishermen, yet wag their tails at, and lick the balls of, our European partners’ fishing fleets. Until we have a level playing field things will never be right.

Unbiased you claim? Like many you appear too anti europe to be unbiased.

You claim that DEFRA and the Navey are having trouble interpreting the rules. Please would you provide me with your proof of that statement.

Everynow and then they bite the wrong man for the wrong reason?? Could you please elaborate on that too? CAn you give me an example of the wrong man being bitten?

[ 17. September 2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

I like point 5. I must agree.

Strange to here a fisherman admit to the huge byecatch of the sandeal industry. So many of the others have denied it. I guess you dont mind talking about it because it is not a problem created by our own fleet. Only a short term ban I suspect though.

You just realised Autumn, winter, spring summer are all the same person mastermind?.

As for trouble I see none. Just asking OLd man of the sea a few questions. Anyway In that last email you sent me and called me a nasty piece of work because I advertised a charter boat in my sig, you said you were gonna ignore me. Then a week later you but in to another topic with yet another attack on myself. You again promised to ignore me. Here we are again. May I suggest that you **** off you clever ****.

Funny I always thought autumn winter summer and springs comments are cogent and well thought out.

I must be missing something.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Old man of the sea i see your vocabulary is perfect but the contense is full of **** .

I seem to know somebody who writes his letters just as you write your paragraphs, plenty of words but not a lot of sense did you by any chance take Alevel english at school or was it you have had plenty of practice doing letter writing, your wording reminds me of somebody we all know very well and he was full of **** as well.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg