crack off during casting

arthurcodsbody

Guys a little help please

I have been using a multiplier reel now for ages and never had a problem, since recently when I have been suffering the odd crack off during the cast,

My reel is a 525 GS loaded with 20lb red ice with a 60lb leader casting a 5-6oz lead. I do a pendulum cast of sorts.

I changed the line on my reel thinking that maybe it was chaffed or whatever but the problem seems to reamain.

The symptems are that the cast starts of normally but about 50 yards into the cast the reel starts to birdnest and then the line breaks, this will maybe happen 1 in 20-30 casts

Any tips cos its starting to p*ss me off!!

Cheers

Matt

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert here, but it sounds like your spool is running faster than the cast on these occasions.

It may be worth using a slightly thicker oil.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest jay_con

Slow your reel a little. If that dont sort it it could be your casting to blame. How well do you lay your line? as that could also cause it. Also check all your eyes on the rod for cracks. If that dont sort never ever fish again.

matt

ive been getting some coaching of late to improve my casting and the most stressed part of it has been technique keeping every thing smooth and a slow build up of power and repeating the setup time and time again.

many of the guys i cast with go back to basics when things start going wrong ie going back to the off the ground cast with a heavier lead to intentially slow themselves down

if you have time and have slowed/relubed your reel try an hour or two of casting practice instead of fishing

in 5 months ive gone from a miserable 66yds to hitting 140+ with smooth and controlled cast with cheapy multi standard b/blocks and red rocket fuel my line lay aint that great either

my advice take stock and go back to basics

best of luck

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

re 1 in 20/30 casts could be that the b/blocks are oiling up and not braking as they should

after every session strip reel and dry off contact area for b/blocks

spinn reel to hear clink clink of b/blocks hitting the rim

failing that try

http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/

for advice

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics