crack off during casting

arthurcodsbody

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest conger tamer

Bob on Stronsay:

Matt I agree with Tack 4 and most of the others. On the GS the braking is done by the built in block system, it could be they are just gunged up and failing to operate every time, how may blocks do you have on, 0, 2 or 4?

Bob

a bad workman allways blames his tools (if the blocks were contaminated they wont work full stop) if only 1 in 20/30 casts is a problem its definately NOT the reel its a misstimed cast no doubt about it!

as the man said he uses a (sort of pendulum)

its going to happen, ive been pendulum casting for 15+years and still crackoff now and again.

the main problem is people try too hard too soon.

rant over :D

tack4:

matt

my advice take stock and go back to basics

best of luck

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

• 4 months later...

The answers to your crackoff problem has produced a lot of discussion on whether the reel is to blame. No-one has yet to mention the possibility that the casting technique itself is to blame. In my experience as a casting instructor (over 30 years), the major cause of crack-offs occurring while casting is trying to cast with the lead/bait travelling OUTSIDE the arc described by the tip of the rod. Quite a difficult thing to explain in words why this happens, the actual result of this is that the weight & bait is trying to fly around the outside of the rod tip, and is pulling along the length of the LINE, and not pulling at 90 degrees to the rod and holding the rod under compression during the cast.

The force being generated under these conditions is centrifugal force, and at the most extreme, rod compression disappears as the lead/bait flies outwards, the usual result of this being either a scorched thumb, the shock leader snapping (it is why some are using 80lb. leader!), or both.

Most anglers use strength to make up for lack of technique. Timing and technique will leave the brute strength and ignorance method standing.

Truth sometimes hurts, my mission is to help anglers, if any want help, I can do so, just ask.

Philthefish

Hi Phil,

Welcome to Anglers' Net and thanks for a good first post.

I was saying to a friend the other week that I wouldn't mind some casting lessons myself some day. Like many, I've fished since I was a kid, so any bad technique has just grown with me over the years.

Come the New Year, I might just get off my backside and do something about it.

All the best,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

matt

ive been getting some coaching of late to improve my casting and the most stressed part of it has been technique keeping every thing smooth and a slow build up of power and repeating the setup time and time again.

many of the guys i cast with go back to basics when things start going wrong ie going back to the off the ground cast with a heavier lead to intentially slow themselves down

with the coaching i continue to get from purgalas pete(pete ingham SSA(Scottish Surfcasting Assosciation)) i have gone from first measured cast last year of 60 odd yds to 129 yds by end of last season

i am now an inch off 165 yds and still off the gound with the odd arialised hitting 140 +

i keep getting +ve praise re how i am maintaining smoothness and casting within myself

to date i have had only one crack off and that was due to line wrapped around tip i had forgot to check

routine builds correct technique and slight moddifcations build extra disitance

good one phil for bringing this one back up and welcome to the nut house

:D:D

Edited by tack4

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Matt, had to speak to Aidan just after I read your post. Not sure what rod your using but if its` your Nemesis

then Aidan has confirmed that under full compression you are looking at a force of around 28lb.

Phil may have hit it on the head as the centrifugal force, will increase things by about 3.25 times, i.e. the shock impact on the line, knots etc will be around 91lb which means a shock leader of at least 100lb.

Only drawback is that this should create a crack off almost immediately into the cast, not after 50yds or so.

Could be a combination, the casting style puts overdue pressure on the line and weakens it and then a reel problem takes over.

Stan.

From what you've described, I have to agree with those that say it's down to your casting technique.

One bad cast in 30 isn't bad. I don't know anyone who casts perfectly 100% of the time.

Although your shock leader isn't what's causing the problem, I'd still go up to 80lb anyway. It just makes sense to use something with an extra safety factor built in.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.