crack off during casting

arthurcodsbody

Terry is still fit and healthy and producing some superb blanks (as always)

He is a big sponser of the UKSF and turns up there quite often.

He is a wealth of knowledge and very interesting to talk to :0)

Thanks for that info, if you ever run into him, tell him "Jock" sends his regards.

Cheers.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per the original post. I had a similar problem with my 6500's and cracking off when the cast seemed to be well away. I noticed that too much end float on your spool can create a gap big enough for modern 0.35mm and finer line to enter the end plate. The line doesn't need to lift excessively off the spool, just enough to leave the rim of the spool (as per a normal cast) from there it can get into the endplate. I got round it by recentering the spool, obvious to most but when its happening to you it can take some getting your head around. I know technique is the reason for 90% odd of casting mishaps, but there can't be too much wrong with the technique if it only happens every 30 or so casts. Top post from Phil, keep the good stuff coming.

Guys a little help please

I have been using a multiplier reel now for ages and never had a problem, since recently when I have been suffering the odd crack off during the cast,

My reel is a 525 GS loaded with 20lb red ice with a 60lb leader casting a 5-6oz lead. I do a pendulum cast of sorts.

I changed the line on my reel thinking that maybe it was chaffed or whatever but the problem seems to reamain.

Could be several things.

Line not laid on the spool evenly.

Too much weight of line on the spool for the weight of the brake blocks.

Keep you eye on the spool, or your thumb close enough to feel an over-run building up, and slow the spool by thumbing the side of the spool instead of trying to do it by thumbing the line, as soon as the line starts to build up off the spool. It's too late to thumb the line once it has started to lose contact with the spool.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

It could also be the line not laying on the spool properly. And old line will tighten gradually and sort of bed into itself. When you reach this spot the line doesnt come off smoothly and consequently the birds nest. Try changing your line if you had it on for some time.

Enfield North London

Guys a little help please

I have been using a multiplier reel now for ages and never had a problem, since recently when I have been suffering the odd crack off during the cast,

My reel is a 525 GS loaded with 20lb red ice with a 60lb leader casting a 5-6oz lead. I do a pendulum cast of sorts.

I changed the line on my reel thinking that maybe it was chaffed or whatever but the problem seems to reamain.

The symptems are that the cast starts of normally but about 50 yards into the cast the reel starts to birdnest and then the line breaks, this will maybe happen 1 in 20-30 casts

Any tips cos its starting to p*ss me off!!

Cheers

Matt

Have had a few problems with my Penn 525 Mag doing that. One cast it's fine but the next it's out of control it's so fast, generally put that down to my lack of casting ability! Must get some lessons in now there are virtually no fish about down here.

I would say though that a mate has had problems with Red Ice before. Using the 18 lb stuff, one part of the spool will be fine but 30 yards along, you can pull and snap in your hands like cotton thread. I assumed this was just an iffy spool so he got a new one. Try using line from a different spool if you don't think you are doing anything wrong/ the reel is OK. May be completely wrong since I'm not an expert on this!

Andy

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society

I very seldon crack off, this may be becouse most of my bassing is at very short range, normally around 30 foot.

A favorite on the boat was to make a very loud clap as an angler was casting to simulate the noise of a crack off, this joke was only played on competent anglers that were also friends not paying customers.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

A couple more thoughts.

Having less line on the spool with mean it is spinning faster and throwing the break-pads against the drum with more force, so you are less likely to over-run.

Could it be that you have been fishing in some water that has put a film of tar-like stuff on a section of the line and this is causing that part to stick a bit as the cast progresses?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Matt, how sure is your footing? could simply be that you stagger a bit after releasing the lead and causing the rod tip to wiggle a bit, thus causing a slight jerk to the line.

Check your follow through.........

Philthefish..are you who I think you are? welcome anyway.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Matt, how sure is your footing? could simply be that you stagger a bit after releasing the lead and causing the rod tip to wiggle a bit, thus causing a slight jerk to the line.

Check your follow through.........

Philthefish..are you who I think you are? welcome anyway.

Den

Yep, I am who you think I am! When you coming down my way for a spot of plugging/flylashing/whatever?

Philthefish B)