Braid

mallycarroll

Newt:

Salar - invest in a package or two of Que-Tips (or whatever the UK version is called). Little stick with a blob of cotton at one end and the ladies use em for all sorts of things.

I'd have to say though that if any other than the tip ever crack or if the tips do it very often, you need to look at a different brand of rings.

Thanks for the (Q) tip (groan)...

The ring in question was faulty - first time used so it must have been like it in the shop. Full marks to Glasgow Angling centre where I bought it mail order, they are replacing it without a fuss. I'll use the Q-tips on my other rods I use with braids to check them out though. Can you recommend a brand of fusion braids? I like the sound of them as tangling floppy braid is a nightmare on a heaving, wet, windy boat.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the spiderwire fusion too.

But for serious fishing, I'd suggest either their Catfish Fusion or Salt Water Fusion (identical line with different names as far as I can tell).

Same price as the regular spiderwire fusion in the lower b/s and available in higher b/s than the regular.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt:

I like the spiderwire fusion too.

Just been looking on Ebay and saw some Spiderwire on there. The seller said it wasn't fusion and therefore was much better and didn't bed in on the reel. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=3651032321

Any thoughts or comments on that one.

I have just ordered some Fusion thus prompting the question.

Colin

Hi Colin i have found that all braid will dig in the spool a bit when pulling in anything a bit meaty, i find that the fusion is better to use in this respect.

This can give us problems when uptiding as the next cst can result in a birdsnest if you forget to give it a short lob to free the braid, this should not be a problem for "over the side fishing", normal braid is more supple but you just cut out any tangles fusion is much more user friendly and comes more supple with use

Dave

Colin - the spiderwire folks make a variety of lines.

The line you've ordered is a spectra super line similar to PowerPro (but a little more expensive normally).

Good line and a good (not great but about normal) price on it from the eBay listing. But some of the comparisons between it and the fusion lines is pure tripe. Likely done by the seller to make sure folks saw a reason to pay about double for it over the fusion line from the same company.

That being said, I do prefer the spectra braids (like this one) over the fusion for most uses and am perfectly willing to pay the extra.

However, since I can get 300 yards of 50lb powerpro for $23.50 and 300 yards of 50lb Spiderwire braid is $39.00, I doubt I'll be switching.

BTW - the exchange rate of pound sterling vs US dollar has moved still more in your favor with 1 GBP = 1.82500 USD as of today so until the numbers change, ordering from the US might be a better deal than usual.

That spool of line would be £9.3 from BassPro and I'm not sure that shipping and all the rest would bring the total up to the £12 plus shipping the eBay seller is charging.

[ 06. January 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt & Dave,

Thanks for the replies. I have not bought from the ebay site, I just happened to notice the comments. I have just ordered 4 150yd spools of 24lb Fusion @ £8 per spool + 1 300yd spool of 50lb Bass pro magibraid for £10 in a stock clearance sale. Did I get a good deal?? Yep! I think I did!!

Colin

Just saw in the latest Cabelas Saltwater catalog that Berkley has Fireline XDS in addition to their regular fireline. B/S available from 30lb to 100lb

Specs say less fuzzing, less stiff, more abrasion resistant, so it appears you can now buy a fireline that is similar to PowerPro or Spiderwire (but fewer b/s options) at about 50% higher cost.

I can see that a roller tip ring will avoid abrasion for boat rods.

I have an old beach rod that has several grooves in the intermediate rings that mono has done. How is this avoided using braid?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Use decent rings.