Braid

mallycarroll

I use braid all the time for uptiding in the Thames estuary aboard my charter boat, and have converted many anglers on my boat and through articles i have written on the subject in angling mags.

I use light (15-18lbs) braid as my main line right through to the swivel and then a mono trace with a running ledger, using the light braid which has the equivilent diameter to 6lb mono there is a lot less resistance to the tide which means we need less weight, so we use lighter rods.

most of my uptiding is done with a 2oz-3oz Gemini weight and an 8Ft Ugly stick spinning rod which gives great sprt for nearly all of our species

Smoothounds to 14lb and thornbacks to 9lbs have been landed on this tackle in strong tides.

The newer "Fusion" braids are a lot more user friendly with regard to tangles and they can be undone as with mono.

I think you would still need a mono shock leader for safety bit i would try a 20lb fusion braid for the mainline for starters

Dave Godwin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for Dave Godwin

I once wrote to the manufacturers about braid on multipliers and mono backing.

As I find the reason for the backing is to bring the loaded spool up to a working diameter, not for the line length, as 200mtrs of braid does not make a large finished diameter on it's own.

My reason being that, why don't they produce a shallow spool for holding braided lines.

No new reel would have to be bought. 1 Reel,2 Spools.

1 for mono and its greater diameter Normal spool

1 for braid Shallow Spool

No braid cutting or beding into mono backing

As you are uptiding in the Thames estuary you know what dept and distances to cast your line.

Does this make sense, or is it me fantasizing again.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

Mally? Hello to you.

Braid has many advantages for both beach and boat work. It also has some disadvantages in both situations.

Smaller diameter equals less tide resistance, so smaller leads can be used.

Better bite detection equals more fish caught? Not always. The zero stretch can mean snatching the bait out of the fishes mouth! You`re better off using a mono leader as others have stated.

As previously stated, braid suffers very badly from abrasions. If you see a `scuff` mark on braid, be prepared to cut the offending section out an re-tie. Weakened braid will give up the ghost quicker than mono. That`s why most folk use a mono leader.

Always use mono backing. Why? If your reel can take 250 yds of mono, then you can bet on getting nearer 600yds of equivalent b/s braid. Just think of the cost! You`ll most probably only ever use the first 100/150 yds of line, so why fill the reel with expensive stuff?

Never use straight through braid with a F/S reel. Don`t worry, you`ll only ignore this advice once.

Don`t bother using it straight through whilst wrecking for pollack unless you`re prepared to keep adjusting the drag on your reel.

Braid is a good tool. One of the best that us sea anglers have had in decades. But it has a place in our armoury, it isn`t the answer to our prayers!

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Mr Godwin.

Hello to you.

I know of several charter skippers that monitor this site. But you`re the first to put his nose over the gunnels.

As you`re in the Thames estuary. Blackwater?

You might save some of us long distance trips. We have quite a few members that live in the S.E that are always threatening to get together. Next trip is Weymouth in May. Well I`m paying.

If we could get a crew together mid-week sometime off peak, I think we could have a lively day out together?

:D:D Paul. :D:D

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Had another mystery braid breakage yesterday. A brand new rod, brand new reel, brand new braid, yet twice the braid snapped like cotton inches from the rod tip. I tracked the problem down to one of the ring liners being chipped, so the new rod's going back, but it does prove you have to be VERY careful about abrasion with braids.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

John E Ashford:

Question for Dave Godwin

I once wrote to the manufacturers about braid on multipliers and mono backing.

As I find the reason for the backing is to bring the loaded spool up to a working diameter, not for the line length, as 200mtrs of braid does not make a large finished diameter on it's own.

My reason being that, why don't they produce a shallow spool for holding braided lines.

No new reel would have to be bought. 1 Reel,2 Spools.

1 for mono and its greater diameter Normal spool

1 for braid Shallow Spool

No braid cutting or beding into mono backing

As you are uptiding in the Thames estuary you know what dept and distances to cast your line.

Does this make sense, or is it me fantasizing again.

Hi John re your question all we have done on the boat as we have learnt is to remove some of the mono from our reels ( just enough to allow the braid to be loaded)join the mono and braid together and wind on.

please bear in mind that we fish relatively shall 10-60ft on average and only cast 50-60 yards so we generally only load approx 100 metres of braid which i run straight through to the swivel, obviously the last part of the braid "fluffs " up a bit with use so i trim a bit off each trip but even fishing about four times a week i manage to get a year out of a 100 metre spool.

The newer fusion braid is a lot more user friendly it feels a bit stif at first but once used a couple of times it is fine and you can untangle birdsnests

Dave

Hi Spasor i run the charter boat "Predator" and i am based at Essex marina on the south bank of the river crouch just opposite Burnham on crouch.

the Crouch is the river just south of the Blackwater and we tend to fish the same grounds through the spring and summer.

I would be pleased to take some of you guys out ona trip and if you can do weekdays it is a lot easier to get booked in ( and cheaper)

Dave

Salar - invest in a package or two of Que-Tips (or whatever the UK version is called). Little stick with a blob of cotton at one end and the ladies use em for all sorts of things.

For anglers, they are great. Put the cotton portion inside a ring, move it around the ring while touching the surface, and any defect will trap some fibers. You then know that ring needs replacing.

I'd have to say though that if any other than the tip ever crack or if the tips do it very often, you need to look at a different brand of rings.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President