Binoculars

Lee-sox

Can anyone recomend a decent set of bins for general fish spotting and wildlife watching.

The smaller the better.

Cheers

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

I use a cheapo monocular when out on a boat. If it gets drowned I've lost £20.00 tops. I also find it easier to cope with boat movement when using a monocular. 8X21, or thereabouts is fine; too greater magnification can lead to problems in holding steady. It hangs round my neck, hardly know it's there.

Take your pick,

Well known reliable supplier of good quality stuff

The Nikon Sporters on special offer are an absolute steal for the money, but they are a full size bin.

Equally reliable but much a cheaper range of stuff

If you do much night fishing and have some spare cash after getting your daytime ones, might consider

$200

Posted Image

or if you like floating gear for angling, $250

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Peter, brilliant idea.

I usually end up closing one eye when using bins anyway.

Cheers for the links ajp, excelent selection, a bit pricey but very good, can't justify spending loads of money then as peter says dropping them over the edge of the boat.

Nice toys newt but they wouldnt get the usage.

Fly like a mouse

Run like a cushion

Be the small bookcase!!

If you do lots of night sessions they are great. Otherwise, not worth having.

They are good enough at light gathering that you can see pretty well w/o the IR assist unless the night is really dark. I gather that many UK fisheries are fairly urban so there is probably enough background light for them to gather in.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'd recommend you find a "proper" optical shop (not one of the high street chains) and try a few until you find one you like, binoculars are very much a personal thing - I love my Pentax 10x42 OCF binos but my wife doesn't, she prefers Nikons. Try to get nitrogen filled ruber armoured ones if you can - they withstand knocks and bumps much better and dont fog up internally in damp conditions.

HTH

Will

I have a very neat set of binoculars that I'm very happy with, and which didn't cost a bomb. They're made by Marchwood: I've just looked at the instructions, but I can't find an address or e-mail for the company. they had them in three sizes at a tackleshop called Discount Tackle, on the harbour front, in Torquay. I think they cost about twenty five quid...

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

As you haven't given a price guide. If you've got plenty of dosh burning a hole in your pocket buy yourself one of the new model Leica Duovid Binoculars. Superb!

Paul