Shark attack

Ian Burrett

I had one of my anglers struggling for 5 minutes with a Tope i assumed was foul hooked yesterday,

He eventually got the 40 pound male Tope to the side and we were amazed to see fresh deep tooth holes along both sides of the fish, with a 10 inch Gape.

Am i right to assume it was a Porbeagle Shark and is it possible to get any sort of estimate on its size by the gape.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian,

I know a few shark guys who will be able to help. I've posted them an extract of what you have said. They'll get back I'm sure...more to follow

Pugs

B.A.S.S

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hiya Ian,

from what you have said, I agree 100% Porbeagle.. a GW would have had that bit chomped out . Nice to see there is still the odd one kicking about down there :)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Looks like you have moved those goalposts Ian,my quest for the season was to be tope from the shore at the Mull. Have I now to raise my sights!

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

quote:

Originally posted by SandTiger:

[QB Did you get any snaps? [/QB]

Hi Sandtiger

The angler took snaps with a 35mm camera so I wiill have to wait for the snaps

If it's any help in ID The teeth marks on the top were jagged holes probably 20mm deep and 10mm across

The marks on the bottom were neat and uniform inscisions in 2 rows in a a perfect semi circle

Hopefully I will get a closer look next time as i will stick out the shark gear whilst we are Toping

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

Snatcher:

Looks like you have moved those goalposts Ian,my quest for the season was to be tope from the shore at the Mull. Have I now to raise my sights!

Hi Snatcher,

There used to be a Mull of Galloway big game club and i believe they had dealings with Porgies from the shore.

It would be interesting to hear from any of their old members who could fill out the details.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

hi,ian i have just been having a word with dougie hogg,his dad used to be in the club many years back,he caught a porgy of 178 lb when i was a boy,he is going to ask his older brother bout the club and let me know,the shark was from boat i think could have been a record at time,used to be frquent up the mull,one night i was fishing up there and one jumped right out of the water no more than 20 yards from rock face ,i wasnt long moving back i tell u................g.balls

it is not what you catch,it is the way you catch it.

Lochryan No 1

the hogg boys think it might have been a mako shark he said the year after the porgey his dad hooked into one and got broke off,so u never know..................g.b.

[ 15. June 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: goldenballs ]

it is not what you catch,it is the way you catch it.

Lochryan No 1

Hi Ian

Just got this back -

Hi Davey,

Then it could be either, though the incidence of bite marks might just be a case of warning from one shark to another. Neither Porbeagles or Threshers have been recorded as feeding on Tope.

There are a number of reports each year down on the south coast of Smooth Hound species bearing similar marks, teeth only, never bitten. We, with others attribute this to Threshers, as it is usually about this time that the Threshers start to show up in the areas to possibly pup. Though this doesn't discount Porbeagles, but the waters are perhaps a little warm for them, as at the same time they are usually found down on the deeper water wrecks.

Hope that helps, and give our regards to Ian when you speak to him next.

Cheers

Sue & Jeri Drake

UK Shark Tagging Programme

http://www.ukshark.co.uk