Kayak alternatives

Newt

I have been looking for something to use on estruaries that was portable . Looked at a number of yak options but at 62 even though I used to do a lot of canoeing as a younger version.

Weight is a major problem, I have considered a small trailer, that would help with a yak.

The other is finding a like minded person in this area, going out on my own with paddle power would be stupid.

I have looked at folding boats which would take a small outboard and small dory type boats.

A float boat with floats on a fibre glass bottom like a rib about 14' could be a good idea but I have not seen anything like this in my searches.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi GowerRay,

Nice to see your interested.

I too have a problem with my back, but touch wood, have coped thus far.

The site looks ok.

Try this one kayakfishingstuff.com you will find all the info you need here.

If you want to ask any questions, please do.

we have no experts here , but we do have some knowledge and will try to help if we can.

yy :)

Cheers. I'm going to spend a week or two trawling the the Yak threads on here. More fun in't it? Had a look at that site earlier on. Bugger, my heads gone off in the direction of Yakville. Ne'er again to be normal. Happy though. Roll on the next full moon.

Hi Ken.

Your a spring chicken :D your only as old as you let yourself become.......well thats my theory :D

Like you say, would be good to find a buddy to fish with.

Not only safer, but you help eachother with the kit.

You can make up trollys for the Yaks, majkes life easey.

Posted Image

Not a good pic, the weed is covering most of the trolly, but you can see the gen idea.

YY

Ken - the link in one of my posts to a backpack version might do you. Total weight of the boat is 40 lbs and it puts up/breaks down with no tools needed.

9ft pontoon length so not great for rough water maybe but I sorta had estruaries in mind when I posted the link. Here is is again for you.

Back pack pontoon boat

This one really might not have any UK source since it is pretty specialized but given the very favorable £ to $ exchange rate these days, even with shipping, duty, and all of that it probably wouldn't be unreasonable to order from the states.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Were those kats inflateable? Was that an out board bracket? What size engine is the max you can put on one? They look like fun for shallow water bassing we have hear in Dengie on the flats.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I can reach both estruary systems very easily and in truth the launch sites are a picknick compared to your photo. :D

The problem once on the water is fairly strong tides, distances are not great and in general the water is flat.

You would however need an anchor on occasions.

Putting the yak back onto a roof rack after a session could be a problem. If there was tow of you it would be simple but on me tod not so easy.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

sam-cox

Most have inflatable pontoons. All I pictured do.

The bracket is certainly a motor mount. Not sure about HP since they don't like lots of weight and the mount is designed for an electric motor. You avoid haveing the battery weigh your boat down by getting a float tube that has a larger inside diameter than your battery, rigging a sling to hold the battery and towing it behind the seat between the pontoons.

Ken

http://www.bike-racks-plus.com/Water_Sport...acks_roof_y.htm

[ 30. January 2005, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President