Kayak alternatives

Newt

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I e-mailed Porta Bote, and they have a distributer in Lowestoft. They sent me an e-mail full of info and prices. Also the boat has been tested all over the world, and test results are all superb. It will do 20 mph with a 6hp motor! The 14 footer is about £1700 without motor. The hull is guaranteed for ten years, and there are reports of them being used for well over 20 years with no problems.

Newt..

Just a thought mate but what size are the windows on your apartment? I've got a mate who lives in westminster whos into kayaking, he cant get a kayak through his front door so his girlfriend opens the window 3 stories up and lowers him a rope. he attaches it to the front carry strap on his boat, then goes up stairs whilst his girlfriend keeps an eye on his boat. Then he just pulls the sucker up with a modified sailing pulley/winch thing. Works really well. he can even take a breather cos the pulley has an anti return thingmy on it.

Dont know if it would be suitable for you, but it works well for him. Just an idea.

Found these.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one is similar to the porte boat and a lot cheaper

Posted Image

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

It's from a Firm in Australia that I am importing some fishing gear from.

They are made in NZ.

full details

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Huge - the Porta-bote is a regular 'boat' sort of boat but it folds flat. Rigid sides. No sort of pontoon boat at all.

nolan - thanks for the ideas and I suspect they will help some folks reading the thread. As for me, doesn't really apply. I'm lucky enough to live in a somewhat rural area and in a house with yard, sheds, and all of that so don't have the sort of storage issues that many folks do.

Even more lucky that guns are legal, the neighbors know each other, and if I want to leave rods & tackle box in the boat overnight for fishing the next day, they will not be disturbed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President