Get Ready Now

sam-cox

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this subject keeps coming up but no one seems to have the answer.

if you look at it what are the sequence of events that make crabs peel.

longer daylight hours.

gradual rise in water temperature.

outgrowing the old shell and the need to mate plus other factors we dont know.

so if by following the top two artificially would not work then it must be other things.

would feeding the crabs hard make them outgrow the shell faster,or the addition of non peeling females make any difference

would heating the water during daylight and cooling at night make a difference.

does a crab only peel once a year or more.

what about other crab species they seem to have a mass peel all at once but then another smaller one later on.

in areas where they peel all year is there still a main peel or is it steady all year round.

what is the reasons behind them peeling all year round.

Have no bother with green shore crabs,but have lots of trouble keeping velvets and eaters alive for any length of time,before they peel.maybe need deeper water and air for these tho.anybody got some of those top tips?

cheers

Just a novice sea angler, but keen. Why is a peeler so special compared to a normal shore crab? Can you not just use a shore crab of the right size. I read once on an Irish fishing link, find a shore crab, bash it on the back, de shell to let juices flow and tie to hook with elastic!

a fish,a fish, my kingdom for a fish

Guest jay_con

Last time someone mentioned something like that here tommo they were told it simply just does not work. My suggestion to you is try it and see. You will be surprised at just what will catch fish.

pork pie has worked in the past!!!!! lol

I have been on my fathers charter boat and seen a party of lads jokingly put a piece of pork pie on their hook......and you would never believe it, but they caught a codling.

Anything works if the fish are frenzy feeding, but the crisis now is that there is not enough fish to feed like that......or am I wrong??!!??