Watching Mr Tench feed

I went down to a local tench lake yesterday evening. I was amazed how clear the water was. The sun was still bright, and I put on polaroids, threw some small feed pellets in and watched. Very soon some big tench arrived, but they didn't stay long. They'd eat a bit and move on. Fairly soon they seemed to have established a circuit, and the same tench would come round every couple of minutes, eat a bit and move on. There were never more than two tench in the 'swim' at any one time - there would scarcely have been room for them - but they came round in turn to have a feed. It was amazing watching these fine creatures only 5 feet from the bank in less than 3 feet of water. I kept very still, needless to say.

I realise now that I missed an opportunity. I'd brought a selelction of baits, and I could easily have tested out what Mr Tench was fancying by throwing in a few samples of each. As it was, I couldn't wait to start fishing as I thought it was going to be 'bag-up' time. Alas, Mr tench was cleverer than I thought, and he didn't rate my offerings - cockles, boilies or meat; I couldn't get the paste to stay on the hook, and I'd lost the can opener for the black-eyed beans! I just caught one nice tench on meat, and missed a couple on cockles. It was a great evening, nonetheless!

Just out of interest, I wondered if anyone takes a habit of observing the tench and learning from what they are eating. Also, it was the first time I've used cockles. Part of the problem may have been that I was using pickled ones, which I realise was not ideal. Various people recommend dipping them in green mussel whatever-it-is, but I seem to be accumulating flavours that I rarely use! I wondered if Scopex or Floral Surprise might suffice?

john clarke

I have never watched tench feed but i have seen carp feed in the past on a clear pond. I do, on the other hand, enjoy watching groups of chub and barbel on a local river during the summer. Its much more fun that bird watching . I aslways notice in chub shoals that one chub will move off and explore the river then return in a few minutes. Then another will move off and do the same. Very interesting to watch.

I've had quite a few tench on cockles, plain fresh ones do pretty well, adding some green lipped muscle powder does seem to help a little. not tried either of the other flavours you mention, so can't comment there.

last season I fished two rods in the same swim on a fairly pressured day ticket water, one on sweetcorn, the other on GLM flavour cockles, the result was quite a relavation, 7 tench on cockles, to one on the corn!

However my best catches last season came to big lumps of trout pellet paste fished over a bed of 3mm trout pellets.

Mat

Mat

Mat Hillman:

last season I fished two rods in the same swim on a fairly pressured day ticket water,  one on sweetcorn,  the other on GLM flavour cockles,  the result was quite a relavation,  7 tench on cockles,  to one on the corn!

However my best catches last season came to big lumps of trout pellet paste fished over a bed of 3mm trout pellets.

Mat

hi mat

they do say tench are wise up far more quickly than carp.im off to a day ticket water with a good head of carp n tench and golden tench too,i was intending to devote one rod to the float and margins as ive not fished like that for a while,i was think about using corn n pellets the usual. i did think about using cockles,as i have heard there great tench bait,now this place recieves a fair bit of pressure im going to get me some cockles n see how we do.ill let you know how i do.not allowed paste there tho!doh! i make a lovely halibut paste

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Good luck, and let us know how you get on with the cockles !

I notice you are an east-londoner, ever tried the warren at stanford le-hope for tench ? less than an hour from you, and a lovely tench water with loads of swims suitable for margin float fishing!

http://www.shellangling.co.uk/

Mat

matt

i know about the warren,hard for me to get there mate i dont drive,unlessi can convince my mate to go there he likes a bit of float fishing.hes a summer boy ya see,we always go once or twice a year,cos as soon as the river opens im off, i tend to dissappear! hence the idea of float fishing close in for the tincas, yep corn ,cockles ,hemp, pellest, maybe a larger pellet on the hook,gotta try and find the unpickledones might go to the good old sea food stall....my target is a tinca of 4 pound or more a golden one would be brilliant they go to 6lb.being a day ticket water im counting on keeping little amounts of feed continously going in.as i figure the shaols will be wondering from peg topeg until they find some thing that interests them.no doubt a bloody carp or two will find it!,what hook size do you use for cockles? whilst im supposed tobe working im now debate whether to take my carp rods or just use one rod float fishing old school style...something ive not done for ages,sitting quitely early morning waiting for that swim to start fizzing.....

[ 10. June 2004, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

hi matt

just got back from my session,started off on the float didnt get much really,didnt get any cockles to use in the end,altho i spoke to a guy he uses them there with good results,so i will be returning!did mangage a couple of tench one of about 2-3lb and one i weighed at 5lb exactly fell for pepparami dipped in richworth strawberry jam dip,very happy bunny :D first proper tench,got pics too,afetr that got distracted by carp off the top,two mid-doubles and my mate had four to 15lb not one below 10! the tench where spawing in the edge too,and another regular who fishes for them told me the numbers caught have dwindle off lately---spawning call?no goldens ones caught,but one was spawing at my feet.oh well next time all out for the tincas.

p.s tested my new barbl rod on them carp=good fun!

[ 14. June 2004, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY