Spade End Knots

Rusty

Tomorrow looks a bit grim for fishing in my area but my wife's going shopping for the day with a friend so it would be daft not to take the opportunity. I'll be fishing very light so in preparation for the blank I thought I'd tie some hooklengths with some size 18 spade ends that Elton kindly sent me.

Googled a good knot and away we go......absolutely no chance! Who on earth can wrap 2lb mono around an 18 shank a few times and then pass the loose end through the loop whilst dressing and spitting on the knot before it's tightened?

Does anybody actually tie their own SE hooklengths that small or is it off to the tackle shop for pre-tied?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow looks a bit grim for fishing in my area but my wife's going shopping for the day with a friend so it would be daft not to take the opportunity. I'll be fishing very light so in preparation for the blank I thought I'd tie some hooklengths with some size 18 spade ends that Elton kindly sent me.

Googled a good knot and away we go......absolutely no chance! Who on earth can wrap 2lb mono around an 18 shank a few times and then pass the loose end through the loop whilst dressing and spitting on the knot before it's tightened?

Does anybody actually tie their own SE hooklengths that small or is it off to the tackle shop for pre-tied?

I never use spade-ends myself but if i do i have packets of them tied to about 2 inches of line, they're not expensive

My PB's

[Tench-8lb] [Carp-17lb] [bream-7lb] [Pike-12lb] [Roach-1lb] [Rudd-14oz] [Crucian-2lb]

Hi mate, I have always tied my own spade end hooks, have done for decades now. I actually have more faith in spade end hooks than I do with eyed hooks. I find a spade end hook hangs better than eyed as the nylon sort of continuous in a straight line from the hook.

After tying spade end hooks down to size 26 I would have no worries about tying size 18's.

If you dont fancy tying them yourself then yes why not get some from the tackle shop, there are loads of patterns you can but ready made these days.

The link rigg'd has posted is spot on, the perfect spade end knot that wont let you down mate.

Edited by hermes

Yes I too like the presentation of a spade end, particularly the smaller sized hooks.

That's the link I used, I love the way it says "This is the tricky part......." as if there's an easy part. Oh well off to the shop in the morning.

To be honest a Matchman hooktyer is a godsend the drennan version works as well I have used the former for many years with absolutely no problems at all with hook sizes down to 32s these were tied to 6oz Drennan double strength when fishing a single joker in hard fought winter league gruellers where anything with two eyes and a tail could put you in coin......I'm cured of it now!

However I still use the hooktyers as they give you a reliable result every time and as I get older with the eyesight not just quite as good as it once was they remain an invaluable tool

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

I tie my own, took a few few tries getting to learn now it's easy............like learning to ride a bike........once you can you don't know why it seemed hard.

Used spades in preference to eyed up to size 12s and lines up to 6lb for as long as I can remember, but these days 18s are as low as I can comfortably go. Cant imagine a size 32 or a 6oz hook length, but then I have never been into match fishing having to scratch for bites. I do have a personal preference for the Drennan carbon chub hooks which have served me well over the years but are becoming harder to get hold of although there are still one or two places on the net where you can get them in boxes of 25. I have never used a hook tyer but I think that I might well get one to try as it is can be a bit of a fumble on a windy river bank in todays world.

.......as it is can be a bit of a fumble on a windy river bank in todays world.

Understatement of the year I reckon :D I'm here in front of the www of resource, it's warm, light, dry and I have a pint of Speckled Hen with me (not for long though). I have my reading glasses on, perfect conditions for tying knots...but I can't do it.

The matchman look like a good bit of kit, I used something similar during my fly tying days but can't really adapt it for spade end tying.