Fish caught while spinning

saint_1877

I don't read the angling press so I will admit to not having my finger on the pulse. I was pleasently surprised to hear about Bass around Ardnamurcham, I fish up that way every year and had never heard reports of bass from the locals. Know better now though.....now where is that #8/9 rod :D

Cheers

Hi Malevans any decent marks around the Ard penisula you wish to share with us? I'm going up that way for a holiday in August hoping to catch a few bass myself.

I have only really spun off Ardnamuchan Pt itself which is total madness for small pollack and coalies. Have you done any fishing with the beachcaster up that way?

To come back to the original topic, No 1 son had a 4 lb 8 oz Ballan wrasse on a spinner back in the early seventies when he was eight years old.

I can add bass, scad and garfish to the British-caught list, plus a load of exotic fish caught overseas.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Of the top of my head - what I can remember are ...

Mackerel, Pollack, Coalfish, Sea Trout, Whiting, Cod, Scad, Herring, Haddock, Cuckoo Wrasse, Launce, Red Gurnard, Grey Gurnard, Small Ling

Oh - and add the Octopus to that list also :( Looking forward to the day I can hopefully add Bass to that list :)

Gillies

[ 08. February 2004, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Gillies ]

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I forgot that I had caught a very small octopus, it wasn't actually hooked but had wrapped its tentacles round my spinner.

I'll be trying my hardest to get a garfish from Scottish waters this year wether on spinner or bait. There have been a few caught in the Clyde so you never know!

saint_1877:

I forgot that I had caught a very small octopus

So had I - actually it was not me, but No 1 son again, on Loch Broom a year before his 4.5 lb wrasse. Got the octopus on a yellow-painted Toby whilst jigging for pollack.

It "fought" well, emitting clouds of black sepia, and I landed it by offering it an oar blade, which it seized with four tentacles. I then swung it aboard, and it promptly seized a thwart with t'other four tentacles and refused to let me have the oar back!

Eventually we wrenched the oar free and bundled the octopus into the locker, from which a tentacle groped out of a knot-hole in the wood. The beast was reddish-brown (kelp coloured) when it came up, but changed colour to match the CAMBRIDGE BLUE of the bottom of our boat (a Puffin dinghy).

It was a tough cookie all round. Fought outside and inside the boat, very difficult to kill and cut up for the pot, and toughest of all when cooked ( we now know several ways of tenderising octopus, papaya juice being one of the best, but did not know it then).

I remember putting a piece of fried tentacle in my mouth, clamping my jaws on it, grinding my teeth to and fro, and then relaxing the jaw, only to find the octopus chunk regained its original size and shape Good flavour though :D

[ 08. February 2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

Vagabond, The secret with Octopus is, when you are cooking them (this goes for Clay Pigeon,which is also tough)to put a house brick (cleaned first)in the pot with it, cook for a while or until the brick is soft, then throw the octopus away, and eat the brick. EASY . :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

:D:D:D:D

RNLI Governor

Saint,

to be honest I have never heard of bass up that far before. Some one like Davy Holt will know. I use a beach caster off a mark I fish on Lhinnie. Gurnard, Flounder, Sea Trout, Thornback, codling and Doggies have all made repeated appearances over the years. Been smashed to bits by big stuff as well a few times. Using lure and fly I have generally picked up codling, seatrout, coalfish and mackerel.

But now I will try and find some bass :D