Fish caught while spinning

saint_1877

Just out of interest what species have you all caught while using spinning tactics from the shore? In this I'm not including fish caught on naturally spun baits.

Heres my list: cod, coalfish, haddock, lesser sandeel, launce, mackerel, pollack, whiting, red gurnard and sea trout.

I should add nearly turbot. Nine years ago and it still does ma heid in!

Hopefully I will be able to add bass to that list after the holiday to Ardnamurchan. Also got a plan to catch a fish not commonly thought to be catchable with spinning tactics but I'll keep that a secret for now incase somebody else decides to pioneer(steal) it!

saint_1877:

Just out of interest what species have you all caught while using spinning tactics from the shore? .

I think there's a huge un-tapped potential here. With the high tech bait additives to give a good smell trail, you could spin neutral bouyancy baits very slowly to catch any fish that feeds on moving prey on or off the bottom. How about using a sinking casting float to spin a crab, worm or shrimp immitation dunked in Ultrabite really slowly right on the bottom? You could cover much more ground than tethering a bait to the bottom and waiting for a fish to turn up. It would be good for flatties, smoothies, stingray at night in the Solent -that's got me all excited now, can't wait to try it....

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Posted Image

Posted Image

DoIt sells a lead mold and the wires for this particular design.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

er...how the hell are you supposed to use that??? Do you just drag it along bouncing on the bottom? It would have a life expectancy of about 50 yards with all the WWII clutter on the seabed around here

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Yup. Exactly. Speed and weight adjusted so the wire is touching bottom and hopefully nothing else. The trailing bait or lure seems to help them rise over things - at least that's my guess.

The certainly can and do get caught and lost but absent the shattered and jagged hull of a ship, you'd be amazed at how well they manage on some fairly rough ground. I can troll with them in the outflow area below a dam that eats most tackle. They also did well for me in coral flats off Puerto Rico a few years back.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President