least successful fishing trip????

skippytheroo

OMG I was so embarassed last night......luckily not too many people on the beach :P

Went out in the "storm" wasnt much rain near us but plenty of wind. I thought it might be good practice for me( only been fishing a few weeks or so) to see how i managed in the wind :P ) first mistake i think :P

managed to get the rod and tripod set up baited up pretty much no problem. It was just slack water and the tide was about to flood again so i set up about 50 yds from the surf. I walked thru the shallow surf, few inches deep for a fair way cast in and walked back to my tripod, fairly pleased with my self at my improving casting, set the rod in the tripod. Upon closer inspection I realised that there was in fact no line protruding from the end of my rod. Id cast the whole lot in and either the wind or the surf had dragged the lot off the spool. :P:P:P

Promptly packed up and left.

Sorry if this is a bit long but I felt the need to share it :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least you got out, I have been wanting to go out for the past few days but work has stopped me.

Where did you go?

Just a bit of advice, (not that you need it now) I always tie my line to the spool before I start to load it.

David

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Guest jay_con

lol you silly sod.

Robin hoods bay looks good for tonight. Dieing se sea.

Poor last night there though I only managed 1 codling about pound and a half.

3 day trip to alderney....lost all my wieghts, most of my tackle and a lot of fish...discovered on the last day (despite inspecting earlier) that there was a hairline crack in the top eye.

The gear loss, fixing and lost prize money (for the first fish of the day) must have ended up costing me the thick end of £30.

hehehe Im over it now was mad last night tho :P

Was at Robin hoods bay today with the kids fossil hunting. Went there at 2am on tues night /weds morning at high water .Went off the breakwater near the new slipway. There was a big swell on but all the fish were in bed i think where i ought to have been :P didnt even get a bite. At least at SLC the fishes/crabs eat my bait and i dont have to peel it off the hook when i reel in. I didnt lose any tackle tho which is always a bonus :P

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

1 week in Alderney, 3 anglers, 1 small bass, 3 black bream, 3 doggies and a couple of strap conger! Least windy day was force 5!

Also managed to leave a pirk and string of feathers dangling over the side last month when we changed marks. Got completely spooled of 300yds of 50lb braid, plus enough mono backing to fill a large Ugly boat reel. Full on £30 in one go, so Gonefishing, your loss was quite cheap in the end seeing as it took you 3 days to lose the same amount! :)

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

As we're embarrassing ourselves, thought I'd share this one:

Was at Chesil one day in moderate surf. I hooked a good sized 2 pound Pollack. Naturally it had swallowed the hook quite deep as I'd missed my strike.

I spent as long as I dare trying to get my hook back, but ended up having to cut the hook off. I was in a rush to get it back into the water ASAP & completely misjudged the surf. As I ran towards it, it came barrelling in (probably the 6th wave as well), I tried to run backwards as I only had wellies on & promptly fell onto my knees, tried to get up (fish still in hands) & then fell on my arse in about 1 ft of water. :rolleyes:

I got up shouting "F**k F**K!!!" demon

Composed myself, walked calmly back to the water & threw the fish back in. The next wave washed the fish back up onto the beach, I ran forwards to pick it up again when a seagull beat ne to it, swooped down & buggered off with it.

Thank heaven for zip off trousers & quick drying socks ... :cool:

[ 30. October 2004, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: FearTheHands ]

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...