Kayakfishing chat.....

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Thanks Chris, for that info, I really am struggling on which one to go for and have been seriously looking at them for months. Think I'm probably looking for something that doesn't exist an all rounder. Do you know anything about the Cobra kayaks?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon.

Just my oppinion, but your choice of clothing needs reviewing or your going to end up in the chit.

With all that clobber on, if you were unlucky to tip, with the cold and clobber conbined, you would have one difficult job getting back onto the Yak.

The choice of clothing is not good.

Your Paddle attire is a very important part of your BASIC gear

Need to be more careful with what you are posting.

If a newbie sat and read that, he could end up in the same chit as you.

Have you actualy tried to re-enter the Yak with that lot on?

Have you practised the re -entry drills at all?

Might be an idea to put the Fishfinder on hold, and buy some more important paddle wear.

Yes Im blunt, but Id rather that than see one of us in trouble, because of a misinformed post.

YY

Re the getting fit.....with a paddle stroke of such a high rate you could pull a skier.

Yaskalos, Never had a cobra but YY has so perhaps he'd be better to help you there.

FWIW I would not get to hung up on an exact model as most will do a good job and are all round to a degree. Im happy with my Perception but if I was buying now would prob go for the larger OK Prowler.

Have a look at whats around at the right price for you. The scrambler has a good reputation in the surf, my perception would be ok in the hands of someone who could paddle well (not me! :D ).

Sit in a few, better yet try some out on the water if you can find a shop that does that, or maybe one of the guys here on AN can let you try their yak.

Body size matters too, make sure the yak can easily take your weight, some are known to be a tight squeeze for people with wide hips (the OK Scuppers), others might be tight for people with long legs etc.

[ 10. March 2005, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Fat Fellow in Yak

Posted Image

Salar in same Yak

Posted Image

Closer - Salar in same Yak

Posted Image

Oops - Salar here but Yak elsewhere

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Yaskalos.

Good advice from Jaffa there.

Yep, I had the Cobra Navigator.

It was a very nice Yak, with lots of friendly surfaces to mount and fix your bits and bobs.

The tank well at the rear was nice and big too.

The ride was good , although a little noisey , because of the deep cut bow section.

She was lovely to paddle.

The only thing I didnt like was the high centre of gravity you have when sat in the seat.

( You sit quite high in the Yak.)

In choppy or rough water, this high postition makes you feel a little uneasy.

You sit quite upright in it too, can be a little rough on the back.

What height and wieght are you Yaskalos.

YY. :)

Thanks for the link, makes a good read and the pics. Will keep looking at them all, am a regular visitor to Kayaks and Paddles in Plymouth and have sat in a few. I'm not a big guy, 5'-8" so all seemed to fit ok. Will be interested to see what YY has to say about the Cobras.

Thanks again