Kayakfishing chat.....

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Yaskalos.

I live in Exmouth , if your around at Kayak and Paddles, and feel like a ride here , you can try out the Scrambler XT , also my buddies Caper Angler.

At least you will have had the chance to try out two :D

Brian at K & P rides a Drifter I think , theres another you may be able to have a go on.

Just say the word mate, and we will get it on.

With your hieght and wieght, you can ride just about any of them.

But think about lifting / moving the Yak, storage etc.

YY :)

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YY

Many thanks, I may well take you up on that. I have two weeks off soon, week either side of Easter, maybe we could arrange something during that time if it is convenient for you. I intended to buy during that period or very shortly afterwards, so would be good to get a proper feel for one. I like the look of the Explorer and thought that as it is 11'-3 and 40lbs I could probably car top it fairly easily. However, I didn't realise it was such a 'high' ride compared to others. The other problem is that K&P don't stock Cobra any longer nearest dealer I have found is Salisbury.

Thanks again

YY

OK thanks well I have been 'imming and amming' since before xmas and still don't know. I have also considered the Cobra Play after seein this pic. Cobra Play is 10-2 and wieghs 38lb.

image{1}

Hi Yaskalos.

Not the best of choices mate.

Have a look around www.kayakfishingstuff.com .......read Choosing a Kayak.

Have a look at some pictures, and think what you want from your Yak.

This may help you further with your choice.

YY :)

[ 10. March 2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak ]

I've never seen one of those Cobra Plays before. FWIW from the photo I don't like the rear hatch setup and feel you have more options with a tankwell there.

Wonder what that pointed bow would be like for surfing as well? It might tend to dive into the troughs whereas the bulbous nose on the Frenzy and scrambler helps bring the bow up.

Looks an interesting wee yak nonetheless.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Yakity,

I haven't done a roll since my kayak racing days - 20-25 years ago. In the case of sit ons I haven't tried climbing back aboard no, not even in swimmers because I haven't an inclination to get wet very often - not even on purpose. I did swim off the boat last year at the Windermere Classic Rally, but I think that was the first and only time I swam last year.

I understand your concern - I am also concerned about the stability. When I tried to turn round as if to get something out of the cargo well in the stern sheets the thing was a bit squiffy. So I stopped - and that was on flat water.

How you climb back aboard with loads of rods and crates and other gubbins everywhere is a concern. I have only been kayak fishing in sheltered water up to now. I did say that in an earlier post - weeks ago. I take my hat off to you guys going out through the surf - the pictures of Salar going out through the breakers - I wouldn't even have attempted it. My feet would have been where the photographer is, on dry land!

My gear is what I use for everything else. I have actually considered a wetsuit, but they are just as impracticable. In the summer I don't wear anything like as much. Quick dry trousers from Bass Pro - their Worldwide Sportsmans flats pants. A Worldwide Sportsman fishing shirt with factor 40 sun protection and a hat. That's it. Well lifejacket of course.

How you get to your stuff on the water i haven't a clue - I haven't tried bait fishing from a yak, only lure fishing and half-a-dozen lures can be found homes for quite easily.

Bait fishing and going for bigger things is going to need some working out! But it is fun to plan...!

Fly fishing and lure fishing are really my game - or trotting a live prawn. Generally I do bait fishing from the boat - she is a bit quicker, Ireland in under 2 hours. In fact, I have a feature to do where we plan to do Holyhead, Dublin and Douglas - a pint in each port, 3 pints in 3 hours! (25 footer, 2x 354 magnums - close to 80mph boat)fast, thirsty, fantastic - and noisy thank too, so you'll hear us all the way across the Irish Sea. A real hooligan's boat!

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi everyone,

Well, so much for this DIY lark. Saw a tip on an American site for a way to make slot in rod holders keep hold of your rods. Brilliant idea it was so I thought I would put it into place on the Prowler.

The tip involves cutting out a piece of foamrubber backed mouse pad to fit over the flush mount rod holder. It is held in place by the three machine screws that keep the holder in place. Then by cutting a cross in the mouse mat cover - hey presto a rain cover that allows easy putting in of a rod, and the rubber backing grips a rod when it is pulled out. It works too. The shiney working side of the mouse mat allows the rod to slide in easily. Pulling it out again requires a good bit of effort,not difficult, but it is enough resistance to hold your rod in - even if you turned turtle.

NOW THEN - On the Prowler 13, like mine, the captive nuts on the bottom end of the machine screws are NOT bonded to the hull. They are only held in place by a squirt of Sikaflx. I got 2 of the 3 to bite and tighten back up. You've guessed it, the third screw has pushed the nut, or captive thread out of the Sikaflex and it now won't pull up. BUGGER. There is no way to get your hand in to hold the bottom bit to get it started either - not without cutting a hole for a hatch in the stern sheets or under the seat - or in the back of the seat moulding. So I now have a very nice rod holder cover held in place by 2/3rds of the required fasteners!

I haven't done the other side - I think I may just stick with a leash on the rod that side. Just a little warning in case anyone else saw the same tip. IF you can get to the stern sheets to ensure the fasteners go home, then it is a great tip, it really does work and will also stop the rod holders from filling up unless immersed. So let that be a warning to all you Prowler owners. DON'T fiddle with the built in rod holders.

Cheers for now,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

YY, I dont know, you Yak guys are getting everywhere ..... :D:rolleyes::D A new chap started work with us today,He's from Renfrew in Glasgow, the talk turned to fishing (as it does),anyway, he doesnt fish. BUT....His mate fishes from a Kayak, round Millport area .....you lot are taking over the planet....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/