catching the impossible

dapper64

I know this is a massive long shot, so I won't be holding my breath, but does anyone know (and are willing to share) the venue where Martin Bowler caught the Rudd in Catching the Impossible?

A specimen Rudd is going to be one of my targets for the summer, and I am trying to build a picture of potential venues.

Cheers,

Stu

The book of the series names two venues in Oxfordshire - Unity near Winey and Andrew's Lagoon....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know where he had the 9lb tench on the pin - PM me if you want to know. Be warned though, it doesn't normally look that peaceful!

Those huge rudd were something else. I wouldn't be surprised if that place is very private. There are some big rudd in the tench lake though - I've had them accidentally on mini boilies while tench fishing (up to a pound and a quarter) and on summer evenings you can see little shoals of big rudd feeding on the fly life (while 3oz leads rain down :rolleyes: ).

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks Chris, that's a great help; I really appreciate it.

Stu

The book is a very good read Stuart, gives a great account of the time & effort that went into making the series. Nice to know that it was rarely plain sailing.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Okay, so I've just done the google search on 'Andrew's Lagoon' and haven't been able to find anything. Is anyone familiar with this water or know this water by another name? (Hopefully this isn't just an embarrassing inability to effectively use a search engine!)

I know where he had the 9lb tench on the pin - PM me if you want to know. Be warned though, it doesn't normally look that peaceful!

Those huge rudd were something else. I wouldn't be surprised if that place is very private. There are some big rudd in the tench lake though - I've had them accidentally on mini boilies while tench fishing (up to a pound and a quarter) and on summer evenings you can see little shoals of big rudd feeding on the fly life (while 3oz leads rain down :rolleyes: ).

Evening Anderoo.

I'm familar with the 'beautifully tranquil' lake that the tench came from and had heard that it contained some decent Rudd too, but thanks very much for your willingness to share.

Rusty, I've watched the DVDs but not read the book, which is something I hope to put right in the near future.

It was interesting to read in one of the posts above about the three day session of feeding, waiting and watching before the Rudd action arrived, although I'm not surprised. Didn't the whole series take four years to film in total?

I had a walk around Barnes Lake this afternoon, which looked very nice indeed and is another water that has been added to the 'Rudd list'! :)

Stu

Edited by Stuart Wright

A bit hit and miss I know, but a friend had a couple of whopping great rudd from the Thames last winter - the biggest was just under 3lb!

I wish you luck in your rudd quest. It is a worthy challenge. If you're prepared to travel, check out both Frensham ponds on the FAS ticket.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

A bit hit and miss I know, but a friend had a couple of whopping great rudd from the Thames last winter - the biggest was just under 3lb!

I wish you luck in your rudd quest. It is a worthy challenge. If you're prepared to travel, check out both Frensham ponds on the FAS ticket.

I've only just got to grips with consistently catching good chub from the Thames, so targeting rudd would really be setting myself a challenge! :lol::lol:

I suspect that my willingness to travel down to Frensham will increase as the summer progresses! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips.

I think that Frensham is a club water and don't do day tickets so it may work out a bit pricey if you're only going to fish it a few times in the year.

Would also highly recommed the Catching the Impossible book, I think I may have enjoyed it a bit more that the actual series! N

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fundamentally fishing is a philosophy. A philosophy of earth, and growth, and quiet places. In it there is a rule of life, a recognition of permanences. It makes you notice the little things of nature, wherever you may be. ~Bernard Venables

I had a walk around Barnes Lake this afternoon, which looked very nice indeed and is another water that has been added to the 'Rudd list'! :)

Stu

This the same water that gets a name-check in rudd chapter of CTI? Called John Barnes' lake in the book?

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog