And the . . . 'RAW' goes on . . .

Sutton Warrior

Due to a bit of a disaster this morning with my fishing trip . . . that was'nt! As I had my D80 with me, I thought I'd take a few 'RAW/JPG Normal' pics for comparison, weather not exactly conducive, but I wanted to try my toe a little further into the mysteries of the medium.

Click, click, click, a dozen duplicated shots RAW and JPG, Elements 7 opens them in its browser/organizer together for comparison. Problem now, strugling to know where or how to organize them, under what headings . . . I know that sounds a bit thick, but I'm not very good at this sorrt of oganization, you should see my filling cabinet and my shed shelves, tidy but no organiastion in groups or type . . . :huh:

Plus, because I lack logical oganisation skills, I dont know where to go from here, mental block time???

However, from what I've seen of the comparison pictures so far, I'm pritty convinced of the detail retained. Need to work out what and how to do the organisation. Funny this, I sorted the problems of the RAW operatin program wise, now its the 'more simlple' organisation I am finding hard to get my head round??? :headhurt:

Any sugestion that might help? :)

SW

Although I have software to organise and have promised myself...many a time to do as such...I have not. I dont even keyword my shots.

All photos get downloaded to a folder in "My Pictures", the folder in there will be named to reflect the shooting date, so todays folder will be named "2009_01_02", any files I create from the downloaded files will also be saved to there.

It works for me, but its not organised, definately not. Yes...I made myself another promise and a resolution yesterday....we'll see how that goes :rolleyes:

I'm sure others here can help you better, but your not alone. :lol:

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I have a photo folder separated into years, so I need a new one for 2009.

There's no need to date any other folders within the years as the files are automatically dated by the camera. JPG and RAW files will be obvious by there extns.

Having said that I don't take anywhere near the numbers some of you guys on here do!!

Had another dip into 'Elements 7' organising section. Still strugling to work out how to creat a folder of any sort other than the general folder that the program is putting pictures in at present? :D

However, the way it presents pictures is stagering, RAW/JPG all on the same thumbnail page, details of pic. convert to a Tiff file and do auto processing and present as a Tiff/JPG, full screen side by side comparison of the same picture in different file formats. I suspect I'm only scratching the surface in my clumsy way. Thats besides the open and do the processing youself. The only problem, I can see, it can become adictive . . . and time consuming :whistling: I dont want Hazel to become a PhotoShop Widow. Its enough, that she puts up with me disapearing off on the boat for a days fishing.

SW

The 'how' of organizing the photos pretty much depends on the 'why' you are doing it.

'Date taken' is fine if you can remember where and what you were shooting that day or if you simply want them together while you do some editing.

If you wanted to group similar photos or if you want to be able to find a certain photo a year from now, 'date taken' is next to useless.

I think if you give us the 'why', you can get some reasonable suggestions on the 'how'.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

The 'how' of organizing the photos pretty much depends on the 'why' you are doing it.

'Date taken' is fine if you can remember where and what you were shooting that day or if you simply want them together while you do some editing.

If you wanted to group similar photos or if you want to be able to find a certain photo a year from now, 'date taken' is next to useless.

I think if you give us the 'why', you can get some reasonable suggestions on the 'how'.

The 'why' Newt?

Simple realy, I like fishing photos together, boat type pics together, family pics . . . not many of those! so friends and family. Then there are the spacifics, pics taken by Hazel, a photo session 'a day in Colchester' etc. Generalised headings, but it helps me when I'm rumaging. I get around it at the present, by creating a folder on my desk top, gets a bit clutterd with folders but in the days of JPG only, that was easy enough to deal with. Now I have RAW (will have) Windows cant deal with RAW files so, I have to use it appears, the capable 'Elements 7', organiser . . . but cant see how to get into it to organise. I'm fairly sure once I get the 'key' :huh: I will probably be able to display titled 'E7' type folders on my desk top or something, a coupe of clicks and I can open a folder. Although it will certainly be using 'Elements 7' running in the back ground not Windows.

And then there is the 'frustation' Newt?

This has all driven me, despite the upgrades, virus and cookie cleaning and a 500Gb external HD, to be on the brink of parting with a fair bit of the hard earned!!! Cos it still 'Blue screen crashes' occasionaly, I believe this may be a fault of long strnding that I ignored because it only happened occasionaly, twice a day is too often now! To day I had '2 serious error' messages and one 'Windows is closing down because of a problem encounterd'. I think I might be pushing 6 year old technology a little to hard, it in return is pushing a '62 year old' to destraction . . . enough is enough :hammer:

SW :lol:

I suspect you were correct about using older hardware with resource hungry applications but unless you have some bits of hardware failing, you should be able to set things right. It will never be lightning fast but your PC should run without crashing.

If you will post in the tech section and give some details about your system, we can attack that end of it. I'd suggest downloading Belarc Adviser (free) and running it to do a system survey/inventory so you'll have all the needed info at hand. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

As a beginning (and if you do want to attack the PC tech issues), include your OS version including what service pack, memory, and details of the three major errors from today.

Assuming you are running a windows version later than NT (2000, XP, Vista) you can easily get that info. Click on start>run>eventvwr.msc and click OK. When the event viewer opens, check the system events and when you find likely entries, open each, click on the icon below the up/down arrows on the right side of the error window to send a text copy to your clipboard, and paste that info into the post. Do that with all three of today's issues.

Windows cant deal with RAW files so, I have to use it appears, the capable 'Elements 7', organiser

I'm going to show my ignorance here. Windows deals with most files by storing them where you want them regardless of the file type. It does almost nothing else with them. The application that works with them should be able to open a file as long as you tell it where to look.

If the above is not true, then I'm stumped but I suspect we are talking apples and watermelons here and I'm not understanding what you mean.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I'm going to show my ignorance here. Windows deals with most files by storing them where you want them regardless of the file type. It does almost nothing else with them. The application that works with them should be able to open a file as long as you tell it where to look.

If the above is not true, then I'm stumped but I suspect we are talking apples and watermelons here and I'm not understanding what you mean.

I think he means he can't view the RAW files as thumbnails??

You can in PS and Elements but only a preview of each file as you highlight it. Well that's how it works for me. By taking both RAW and JPEG stored next to each other you can see the JPEG in Windows and will then know the RAW is the same image.

Of course I could be completely wrong at what SW means :D :D

I think he means he can't view the RAW files as thumbnails??

You can in PS and Elements but only a preview of each file as you highlight it. Well that's how it works for me. By taking both RAW and JPEG stored next to each other you can see the JPEG in Windows and will then know the RAW is the same image.

Of course I could be completely wrong at what SW means :D :D

Hi Colin, Windows Explorer cant deal with RAW, but Elements Organiser makes an admirable job of thumb nails for both RAW and JPG, side by side, it will deal with one or other or both together, I just cant work out how to get the Elements Organiser to create named folder. In fact in my simple way, I can see the potential in Elements 7 organiser, I just can seem to access it in any logical way, very frustating, cos I have seen rieviewers getting very excited about the new Organiser?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Windows does offer support for RAW viewing, but this is operatig system and camera dependant, for example, I can view my old 300D RAW files in Windows XP, but my 400D files wont show, and Microsoft wont update the "Windows RAW viewer" for XP...if I upgrade to Vista, I'll be able to view my 400D RAW files in windows explorer.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en <== "Microsoft RAW Image Thumbnailer and Viewer for Windows XP" will support some older cameras..

SW..have a look at Keywords that might be the way forward for you, maybe elements can have keyword albums of sorts.

Have a look at this Cliff http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PhotoshopEleme...ADC637A490.html and try out "Smart Albums", that may be the way foward for you.

Steve...:)

Edited by Steve Randles
Added content

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet