Fishing on the Curriculum

mjbarnes12

O.K. some interesting thought :g: , perhaps the title of the topic is slightly misleading and construed peoples thoughts a bitaway from what i was initially asking :oops: .

So if you were to run an extra curricular club, what aspects, skills and theory of fishing would you include/like to see included into the club?

:fishing:

Edited by mjbarnes12
wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you were to run an extra curricular club, what aspects, skills and theory of fishing would you include/like to see included into the club?

Firstly, it has been done, successfully, already - so take a good look at Les Webbers site.

I have taught my children and grandchildren to fish, also many of their friends.

One thing is important - keep it simple for beginners - and that means starting with simple tackle - even tackle they make themselves.

Here is the result of (admittedly guided) primary school technology - a nine-year-old boy built this rod and reel himself.

yggdrasilthetenchslayerxe4.jpg

it has landed tench to over 5 lb.

So tackle making would be on MY agenda (rods, reels, floats, rigs, lures, flies, rod and reel bags, even tackle boxes) We are breeding a nation devoid of practical skills, so I consider this important. Think of the sense of achievement of a lad landing a 5 lb tench on a rod and reel he made himself.

Watercraft is soooooo neglected - teach beginners to sit still, be quiet, fish under the rod top - much more is learnt by close observation than chucking a bolt rig out.

Fixed spool reels are an obstacle to learning - as soon as a kid gets one (s)he becomes obsessed with seeing how far (s)he can cast. Start kids off with a centrepin !

Fishing is good preparation for life - get it wrong and you don't catch !!. In a teaching ethos that attempts to shield children from the idea of failure, a touch of reality has got to be good.

Just a few thoughts - and by no means an exhaustive list.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

"Unfortunately there is only one Les Webber"

There are one or two poor imitations who would have us believe they can do the job

Get in touch with Les for the real thing. Angling Projects should also be integrated/playing a big part with the new Angling Trust

I presume you are asking Matthew because it's something you would like to introduce at your school, in which case fair play to you and the best of luck.

I think all the points I would like covered have already been mentioned: appreciation of nature and the environment, you could even widen that to basic weather appreciation, and Vagabonds idea of DIY tackle...excellent idea! As a pretty awful young lad, the subjects I did really enjoy were the practical ones.

Geoff

"Unfortunately there is only one Les Webber"

There are one or two poor imitations who would have us believe they can do the job

Get in touch with Les for the real thing. Angling Projects should also be integrated/playing a big part with the new Angling Trust

It is such a shame a lot more don't think like you. Les has been such an inspiration not only to my but many others, he is the reason Igive something back and organise junior events for my club.

He has so much to offer it is such a shame that selfish politics get in the way :(

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I think one important factor would have to be the number of people involved i dont think teaching angling could be done without enough tutors if you take one person fishing with you you can spend a long time just getting them to grasp the basics in particular casting . What im saying is having one or two people supervising say 20 or 30 people i dont think that would work.

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

I am not asking if the logistics would work!! I know it could be manageable!! leave the pedagogy to me, just would like to know what subject knowledge you think would be appropriate?? I have an idea, its just interesting to see others opinions!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....

I personally think anglers should start from the beginning by that i mean on canals or small ponds learning the basics catching gudgeon ruffe & perch that way they learn more what anglings all about rather than starting out carp fishing & catching a 10lber & thinking its only a small un somebody on the other bank got one that weighed 25lb . I think its good what your trying to do & wish you all the best with it .

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

I organise a junior barbel fish in for my club every year. We teach them about,

1. Personal care & safety on the river bank

2. Fish care

3. The basics, they learn how to tie knots by tieing their own rigs and testing them.

4. We teach them a pendulum cast (handy for the rivers)

The above is all done in the field before we let them loose on the river!

After they have mastered the above we let them fish. I have to say that with out the help of some friends I would not be able to do this as they have one to one for the whole day because of the dangers of rivers. I know that apart from Trefor West the kids have not heard of any of the others but each one an expert anglers in his own right, oh and they have me of course :D

I am helping with the other junior events this year and they will take on pretty much the same format.

lyn

Hope that helps

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Hi Mathew, have you heard of the ADB? Angling Development Board, e-mail this guy,

Robin.Darker@Anglingdevelopmentboard.org.uk

also to help click on this; http://www.anglingtrust.net

Regards Bob.

Edited by Bob Bradford

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]