Shotting a float

Haven't a Clue

Some sound advice & id pretty much go along with most of it however id dispense with the top & bottom attached float as i think a beginner would spend a lot of time with the line wrapped round the top of the float personally id advise a short drennan peacock fixed bottom end only just cast out slightly dip the rod tip in the water reel the float into position & away you go cant really go wrong :)

Good luck

trouble is a beginner would be striking at non existant bites if the float drifted ,i use afixed top and bottom floats always will :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Not fishing just off bottom with the line sunk just off the rod tip not saying top & bottom arent good Chesters i love fishing the lift method i just dont see any benefits fishing top & bottom with the earlier advice that was given :)

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

i think a beginner would spend a lot of time with the line wrapped round the top of the float

Have you thought of the even worse tangles a beginner might experience with the waggler!

Fishing under the rod tip with a top-and bottom is the simplest way I know of beginners avoiding tangles.

Remember the remit was "keep it simple"

Not "impress other posters on how well you can fish the waggler".

Here is a catch report re a species hunt my wife and I entered (and won) in 2007

Note what I mean by fishing close in

Part 1 http://www.fishing-forum.info/going-fishin...ag-tanyard.html

Part 2 http://www.fishing-forum.info/going-fishin...d-part-2-a.html

Later in the year I went back, taking the wife along. My wife, though a very experienced and accomplished sea and big-game angler, would describe herself as a novice at coarse fishing

Part 3 http://www.fishing-forum.info/going-fishin...sy-tanyard.html

I hope that demonstrates what can be acheived with a top and bottom float fished close in!

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Im sorry Vagabond you seem to have taken offense to me opposing your view top & bottom are best i agreed with the rest of your tactics in fact i said it was good advice the fact is nobody spends a day pole fishing without the line getting wrapped round the float nobody spends a day stick float fishing without getting the line wrapped round the float the common factor being top & bottom attachments . As for impressing other posters with my waggler fishing thats really funny.

Congratulations on your catch :)

The more i practice the luckier i get :)

the fact is nobody spends a day pole fishing without the line getting wrapped round the float nobody spends a day stick float fishing without getting the line wrapped round the float the common factor being top & bottom attachments .

If that really is a problem, then I suggest the upper float rubber is being pushed too far down, leaving too much float tip proud of the line.

If the top rubber is put on no more than an eighth of an inch down from the float tip then entanglement is far less likely. The same goes for the bottom rubber - don't push it too far up.

When fishing close in, the tackle is merely swung out underarm - even five-year-olds get very few tangles that way.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...