How far ?

glennk

How far would you consider going away from the shore ?, I understand in the states sometimes they go out several miles. What is a safe distance in your opinion ?

i've been offshore about 2 miles in the bristol channel but i had a vhf for weather, knew the tides and the outlook was calm and sunny, regardless of this its still a bit scary fishing in 30mts of water over pinnacles that tower to 10mtrs below your keel! great fishing though.

if you are looking for fish grab yourself a sea chart and look for where the fish will be, just because you are far out doesn't mean that the fishing will be better!

3 years ago at woolacombe, n.devon, a bunch of lads from the army base at chivenor set off to paddle to lundy island a 20mile paddle with no radio, gps being cocky as hell on the beach in front of all the woman, two days later they landed at porthcawl, wales, after getting washed up and down by the tide.

just be aware of the tides and conditions, maybe a day skipper course could help.

Ive been given a guaranteed mark for a lot of cod at 1.5 Mile. However - My Kayak doesn't arrive until the end of May and Ive never been on one before so I think it will be a while before I venture far, But I was just wondering what you lads thought was acceptable

For safety reasons people will be reluctant to tell you how far you can go offshore. What I can say is that for me, one to three miles is normal, four to five miles would be a carefully planned trip with settled weather.

It really depends on the type of boat and your average paddling speed. Certainly for your first few trips, and to build up experience, I would stay closer to the shore. Your ground is similar to mine and there's loads of marks within a mile from the shore that hold codlings. :thumbs:

Neil.

Most of the fishing i do is within 2 miles of the shore and in some cases can be just the other side of the wave break but as Neil says 4-5 miles planned properly with settled weather is achievable but best left until you have more experience.

My usual mark is 2 miles out. I would go further if If neccesary, perhaps another mile, but it would depend on conditions and whether I had company. You MUST know your limits and know when to turn back (before you recah those limits). As an example, on Sunday 3 of us paddled to within a few hundred metres of the mark. The swell was higher than predicted, fishing would have been uncomfortable and if anything went wrong it would have been dangerous. We paddled back in and ended up 1/4 mile from where we launched. We didn't get the fish we would have, but we had a pleasant time and all came in after a full day on the water. It took me best part of a year before I went further than 1/2 mile though, plenty of hours and miles udner my belt before that. I wouldn't go so far if I had the deeper water (and cod) closer in either.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

within a mile i would say.... or no further than the big rock from st agnes, as long as i can see the rock, or near it, i know i can eventually get back to shore... I dont like going out to far by myself as the conditions change so quickly where I am!

One moment it will be calm and sunner, in a minutes time, thick fog will apear, or swell will build up, can be pretty scary! i also always try to keep an eye on my compass, so i can get back to shore!

jb

Wilderness systems Tarpon 120 :)