What is a friend?

Vagabond

Received an email from AN today, saying one of the members has nominated you as a friend.

Intrigued and pleased, I navigated to "My Friends" and clicked on it.

"YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS" said the stoney-faced computer.

Baffled, I noticed an incoming PM from said member (message has now disappeared) and read it. Very witty, so I laughed, which attracted Norma's attention, so she read the message and laughed also.

Responded to the message. Nothing profound seems to have happened. AN life goes on as usual.

A question or two

Don't understand the AN friend system - does one just unilaterally pick one or more names from the members list and add to friends list ?

...and if so, what has now changed?

...do you both have to claim mutual friendship?

...and does that change anything AN-wise ?

I am always pleased to have friends - I remember Norma's grandma saying rather sadly "The trouble with being in your mid-nineties is that all your friends are dead"

Most of the regular posters on here I regard as friends anyway, some are virtual friends, some actually turn up to fish-ins and thus become friends in reality.

Could someone explain the "friend" and "ignore" systems please - what it means in practical terms..

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I have no friends, so not sure how that system works here, the ignore system is easier to explain though, if you don't want to read a posters comments, select the ignore option for that person and then instead of their postings you'll see a message along the lines of 'You have chosen to ignore this person'

now you've done it, i thought i had friends so i looked under "My friends " nothing there. I thought i had friends but it appears i've been dumped.

Bu@@a

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

now you've done it, i thought i had friends so i looked under "My friends " nothing there. I thought i had friends but it appears i've been dumped.

Bu@@a

Cheers Fred

you now have a friend who thanks you very much for the humor you add to my life via email. :rolleyes:

Fred - do you like to send out funny emails then? Good man. :D :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President