Guernsey Bass Challenge 2005

Sharkbyte

What a weekend.

Myself and Russell my brother, made a last minute decision last week to fly over to Guernsey to compete in this years Bass Challenge, a yearly event organised by the Bailiwick Bass Club running from the Friday evening to the Monday night. The decision to go this weekend really came down to the fact that we would be going over to see my Dad in the next few weeks anyway but when checking the flight prices it was virtually half as much for this weekend than the following weeks.

We have a bit of a habit of producing decent fish in these events, unfortunately only when we haven't entered. First Russell flew over and fished a charter trip a few years back and was unaware it was the Bass Comp weekend, he pulled out a 13.5lb'er, a while later in the Guernsey Bass Festival we were so pre-occupied in the tackle store sorting out some decent live sandeels and a few bits of gear we completely forgot to sign in, by the time we remembered and returned to the store it had closed. That night I landed an 11lb'er which would have walked it! Both fish of a lifetime I think you'll agree and captures for which we were very grateful, regardless of winning any silverware or not.

This year we made no mistakes in arriving for the signin on Friday evening in good time after landing. We registered for just the boat section this year as we would be fishing off of our prefered weapon of choice, a Zodiac Inflatible matched up with one of the superb and deadly silent Minn Kota electric outboards.

The three of us fished an old favourite location of ours that night staying for over 6 hours in relatively pleasant conditions except for a sharp drop in temperature in the early hours and a little rain. A few bites were missed and only a single bass of around 2/2.5lb was landed, not big enough to register as all boat caught bass have to be over the 5lb mark.

After grabbing a few hours sleep we headed out in the truck in the morning to check out some marks we fancied, but had never fished before. The choice came down to two and a vote was taken for Saturday nights Bass stakeout.

We arrived at our mark an hour before high water, it was p155ing down and the wind had got up but we were eager for a good fish and wasted no time in launching the Zodiac into Guernseys crystal clear waters to begin the waiting game. I didnt have to wait long, flicking my running paternostered live sandeel out I had a screaming take before the lead had even touched bottom, the fish fought very erratically, crash diving on a few occasions before coming to the surface. 'B0110cks, it's a pollack', I said. This was repeated soon after on my next cast out and a decision was nearly made to move as the live eels would soon run out at this rate. Instead I flicked the next bait out in a different direction to try and avoid these bait thieves. Over the next hour no more pollack arrived and unfortunately no Bass either. As the light faded away Russell was into a bass of around 2.5lb and the very next cast another of around 3lb. Our interest picked up again, fresh wriggling baits were put on and flicked away from the boat. Russell ended up landing another 2 bass of around the same size and missed as many bites again, neither Dad nor myself had even had a touch. We both recast, spaced inline with Russells lucky spot just in time to see the bites disappear. The conditions by this point were foul, the rain was pretty relentless and the next hour or so was spent mentally beating myself up for not packing my flotation suit.

Tap! Tap! went the braid as first my sandeel got nervous, then Tap! Tap! Tap!....it went nuts. The tip plucked around, then sprung back for 10 seconds or so, again pluck pluck pluck, do I strike it? 'No Wait' I told myself 15 seconds or so passed and an oppurtunity had been wasted, Then BANG! round went the tip so I struck into the fish. I gained line fairly quickly and had the it under the boat but it wouldn't budge, at this point the full weight of the fish was apparent and as I gained a foot or two it was quickly taken back. After a cracking game of tug of war the fish rose slowly to the surface and was netted by dad first go, as is often the case the size of a decent fish at night only becomes apparent when lifting it into the boat, all 3 Headlamps aimed at her, 'Its a double' went the cry!

A while back, after being educated by people such as Steve Copollo and Leon Roskilly we had made the decision to never to kill a decent bass again and Russell had wisely purchased a carp sack for a session like this. After quickly unhooking our prize she was in the cells for the night as the next weighin wouldn't be until 9.00am.

We fished for a further hour or so until all the sandeels had been used and then considered what we were to do for the next 8 odd hours in the pouring rain. We decided that dad was going to drive back home and get a large plastic barrel and aerators to keep the fish in overnight. We did not weigh the fish as we wanted to keep any stress to a minimum.

A few hours sleep were had after the customary debriefing. 9.00am we arrived at the weighin with our barrel on the back of the truck to see the nights captures being taken to the scales, the shore best was standing at around 8lb reading down further my heart sank as my eyes settled on the 13lb and so may oz's listed. My fish was big but not that big. Hang on a minute thats the double's competition.....I'm still in it! I was informed 9lb was the biggest so far in the boat section.

After telling the organisers we had a live one in the back of the truck they speedily weighed her, the balance settled on 10lb 14oz, brilliant.

Posted Image

With the weighing done and a few photos taken we had to get the fish back and chose a sheltered mark on the other side of the Island to release her.

I held the fish in the tide for around 10 minutes until I was certain she was ready and let her go. She gave us a lap of honour before burping the air out of her and beating a hasty retreat back out to sea. What a feeling, although I wouldn't frown upon anyone wishing to keep a fish for the pot I can assure you the feeling you get returning a beautiful specimen alive like her, tops any sensation your tastebuds will ever give you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My 10lb 14oz bass topped the leader board for the rest of the weekend, £400, a bass setup and a silver salver would add to the pleasure that fish gave me...........

Until..........

The phone rang at home this evening after flying back, A chap had weighed in an 11lb 9oz beauty at 9.20pm on the last weighin of the competition.

Gutted....................for all of 5 minutes maybe, my fish was PRICELESS!

It looks like I've got second spot and a couple of hundred quid, unfortunately I won't be able to get back to Guernsey to shake the winners hand at the prize presentation evening on Thursday but I'll be returning for a rematch in Augusts Bass Festival.

My thanks must go to all of the organisers, especially Len le Page who has entered me in a visitors competition and a fish of the month contest. The hospitality they show to visiting anglers is first class and I would recommend flying over for a go to anyone. The marks we fished off of the Zodiac are no more than a stones throw off the shore so the potential for inshore fishing there is enormous.

Earlier in the year I signed a petition organised by a guy in Guernsey, Caleb I believe, regarding the slaughter of spawning bass on a mark just offshore of Guernseys West Coast. Much of the feeling expressed by non local anglers in the petition centered around giving Guernsey a miss because of this terrible and localised overfishing. But from the pats on the back I received from the locals for returning my fish attitudes are obviously changing, hopefully this will help elevate the angler onto the moral high ground far enough to close this particular overexploited fishery down for good.

I desperately need some sleep now, back to the grindstone tomorrow. Hope you enjoy.

PS. I hope AN doesn't grind to a halt after swallowing so much of Eltons Bandwidth. Sorry in advance. :)

Nice one!! Unfortunately I returned from holiday during the weekend so I wasn't able to fish the comp. Interesting to see that you use the inflatable, and fish at night. Most of the locals use proper boats fishing the offshore areas during the day.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Lovely write up. Makes me want to go. I have never been to Guernsey - always gone to Jersey for a week, but never touched a fish in all the trips I have made - not just bass, not a fish, nothing! I usually stay on the North side of the island too, at Bouley Bay. I think I may try this Guernsey thing.

Thanks for sharing that experience with us - it gives us all hope!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed writing about it to be honest, even if the matchsticks holding my eyes open after three days of sleep deprivation were at breaking point.

I have to say night fishing from a small boat is a great way to fish, minimal use of headlamps and a very stealthy approach certainly pay dividends. It is also possible to fish areas where a large vessel simply could not go and shore fishing an impossibility.

We have a Zodiac for use here in Essex also, results haven't been quite as impressive yet, although that Stingray we nearly ran over in 2 ft of water last year has my name on it.

A quick thankyou to Simon Everett, as on the flight home I was reading your latest article in Boat Fishing to take my mind off the rather hairy descent and landing. I must remember to finish it when my retina's re-attach themselves after bouncing down Stansted runway.

The Guernsey Bass Festival is held from Friday 19th to Monday 22nd of August this year I believe, hopefully we can go one better next time.

At some point I'll share with you our tales of being towed by a very large and angry Conger and the night we caught so many Black Bream 3-4lbs+ that we could have filled the boat with them had we wanted to. :)

Well done to Wayne & Russ - a great fish.

And on behalf of Guernsey's Anglers i'd like to thank you for putting her back.

give me a shout next time you're over and i will buy you both a well deserved beer.

Mark

(saveourbass.com)

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "