Rod for each species?

Pangolin

One of the other posters on the board was noticing some of the changes that have happened, in coarse fishing, in the last twenty years or so. What I've noticed is that where we used to have a rod for each technique, we now have a rod for each species. I've set my sights on catching some tench, this summer, and I feel fairly confident that between the selection of rods I own, I'll have what I need... but at my tackle dealer I've spotted a 'tench rod'. Hmmm tempting, eh? ...or is this just a con to persuade everyone that they need to buy more rods. Whatever next, I wonder: a 'roach rod' and a 'rudd rod'?!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Of course the tackle trade will try to bombard you with as much gear as they can - that's what they're in business to do. Like most anglers, I have far more tackle than I actually need... and that doesn't stop me from buying yet more.

Fenboy

looking through old mags there WAS a rod almost for every species ,then in the seventies came the "all purpose" rod this carried on and now the tackle companies have gone back to the species versions hoping that they can sell more rods of basically the same specs if the word "roach" or "tench" is displayed after all what tackle tart would use a roach rod to catch rudd

it doesnt matter a jot to the fish they only see the bait (hopefully) in a species rod does it come with a garauntee it wont catch other species ,i think not :D

[ 10. January 2004, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

The materials used for building rods these days makes it possible to design a rod, that is a compromise between so may characteristics, that it is not only possible to design a rod almost ideal for targeting a specific species, but for any number of conditions, lines, techniques etc.

And if it's possible to do so, and there are anglers who can appreciate the difference between using a rod designed specifically for the job in hand, why not?

But that doesn't mean that anglers need to fish with anything other than a generic design, that is capable of reasonably handling a variety of demands at reasonable cost.

Much better than the tank arial I had, used for gudgeon, roach and pike. But it did the job!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Nathan:

You could go on forever buying rods but saying that I've got 8 rods!

Is that all? Amateur! :rolleyes:

Tight lines, no matter which rod you use

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Seriously, though, does anyone own a 'tench rod'? When I pursue these magnificent fish, this summer, I'll most likely be floatfishing corn or casters, beside large lily pads. I would use a 13' rod, termed a 'carp match' rod, unless somebody can tell me why the tench rod will do the job better (?)

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

I doubt a tench rod is really any different to the carp match rod you already own. I'd be surprised if there is any significant difference.

I've got three rods which I use for all my fishing. There's a 13ft match rod with fast action, an 11ft 1lb twin tip and a 12ft 1.5lb twin tip. Both the latter rods have a couple of interchangeable tips, should I wish to play around with the quiver at all. The 11ft and 12ft rods seem to be okay for specimen float fishing when using the standard top too. They may not be able to cast a float all that far, but they do for me and my style/venues I fish. I seem to have more luck float fishing close in anyway, keeping out of sight and sitting as far from the bank as is practical.

Each to their own, I suppose :)

In the scenario you desribe by the lillies etc I use an 11ft Stradic lure rod, 7g - 35g and I would borrow my wifes rod, which is same, if i needed two rods for the day. These are my purpose built zander rods too :D Hope missus didn't hear that. :rolleyes:

Malcolm