I'm bored . . . .

Sutton Warrior

Well now folks, things are a bit quiet, poor weather and I have had a problem with my diabetes, been off work for a couple of days. So I have been able to to play with the new computer, what a revelation. Is it me or have things really got that much better in 6 years since I first used XP? The new 22" screen is amazing, so much room, 17" up to 22" takes some getting used to! Its also taken a lot of time to get to grips with HP's 'Calibration program', but, now I have my own saved preferred view based on 'sRGB' values, suspect a little more fine tuning will be in order, but my original 'prefererd' settings are saved, I can have as many options as I like all saved to compare one with the other.

The bigger screen/new computer, also seems to promote better page options of old pages viewed over years, better and more detailed weather forecast presentations for instance. I have also rediscovered the 'Google Spell Checker', checks all text typed including forum submissions 'like this'. So you wont have to translate any more of my dyslexic ramblings B)

Time off and reading a few Photo mags recently has had my mind doing handstands, really like wide angle landscapes. Fancy a Sigma 10-20 or maybe a Tokina 12-24? however currency instability is putting prices up by dramatically large lumps, especially the Tokina. So I thought 'used' fleeBay? Current price on the web, a Sigma 10-20 can be had for £310.00'ish, price rising, as I write!!! if you phone the shop to check availability . . . " yes we have new stoke, prices is now £329.00"!!!

Watch the action, and they are paying as much as £300.00!!! for a used copy, no guarantees, there is an issue it appears (reading various forums) with some of these lenses sharpness? Has the world gone mad!!

I have stepped back, reconsidering the wide angle option? My 18-200VR is taking good sharp pictures, money is going to get tight(er) :o !!!

'Want and need' are very different animals. Enjoy what one has, and wait for prices to fall, if they don't, we will be pushing wheel barrows full of cash to buy a loaf of bread :huh:

Magazines; I have particularly enjoyed February's 'Digital Camera', >>'Hotshots' is 11 pages of inspired readers photography . . . stunning, quite stunning :thumbs: !!! Amateur Photographer is also interesting Sat 24th Feb., 'Gallery' readers pics is good, wintry pictures, inspiring. Both magazines have some interesting articles to read as well.

Yep, I'm bored, its chucking it down out side, not photography weather (for me) nor fishing weather . . . Tuesday looks good? might be worth taking the D80 to work, I need to get some pictures in the can!!! <_<:wallbash:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

a Sigma 10-20 can be had for £310.00'ish, price rising, as I write!!!

Well get one then! ;)

My favourite lens by a country mile. If my Canon isn't wearing the 10-20, it's stuck to the 50-500. Since getting those two, I've never read a lens review or been Internet window shopping since. :)

Time off and reading a few Photo mags recently has had my mind doing handstands, really like wide angle landscapes. Fancy a Sigma 10-20 or maybe a Tokina 12-24? however currency instability is putting prices up by dramatically large lumps, especially the Tokina. So I thought 'used' fleeBay? Current price on the web, a Sigma 10-20 can be had for £310.00'ish, price rising, as I write!!! if you phone the shop to check availability . . . " yes we have new stoke, prices is now £329.00"!!!

Watch the action, and they are paying as much as £300.00!!! for a used copy, no guarantees, there is an issue it appears (reading various forums) with some of these lenses sharpness? Has the world gone mad!!

SW

Be grateful you only want a wide angle lens. A Canon 400 prime has gone up by about £1500 in the last couple of weeks.

Well get one then! ;)

My favourite lens by a country mile. If my Canon isn't wearing the 10-20, it's stuck to the 50-500. Since getting those two, I've never read a lens review or been Internet window shopping since. :)

Hay Sharkbyte' 50-500 is the other lens I want :rolleyes: . . . ! Trouble is, its the 'want' and 'need' senario again??? ;) I'm trying to be all sensible . . . :P

SW :lol:

Hay Sharkbyte' 50-500 is the other lens I want . . . ! Trouble is, its the 'want' and 'need' senario again??? I'm trying to be all sensible . . .

A great lens for the money, and extremely versatile.

That said, you may not like it. Some say it's too heavy, the filter size can be costly, it isn't a 2.8......blah blah blah.

If you pay too much attention to the reviews, you get led into thinking that only an L will do, and everything else is useless. Bull.

All I can say is that a 400 prime, as mentioned, would be of no use to me. I've been offered a couple of big Canon primes at very, very good prices. Not interested. Take the Jay pics I've been banging out lately (reminds me, I've

a better lit example to post), there's no telling whether they'll come squawking their way down 6ft away, or 40 ft away. I need the flexibility far more than IS or 2.8 performance. Besides which, with a number of expensive hobbies, in addition to photography, I'm not going to blow thousands on a set of lenses that'll only gather dust.

If I may be so bold, 'sensible' would surely be offloading some of the numerous, and no longer used, pieces of kit that you've bought over the years, and putting the money into something that will be regularly pasted in Cod sh1te.

Sorry, didn't I mention the Sigma's resilience to the hazards found in a saltwater angler's environment. :D

A great lens for the money, and extremely versatile.

That said, you may not like it. Some say it's too heavy, the filter size can be costly, it isn't a 2.8......blah blah blah.

If you pay too much attention to the reviews, you get led into thinking that only an L will do, and everything else is useless. Bull.

All I can say is that a 400 prime, as mentioned, would be of no use to me. I've been offered a couple of big Canon primes at very, very good prices. Not interested. Take the Jay pics I've been banging out lately (reminds me, I've

a better lit example to post), there's no telling whether they'll come squawking their way down 6ft away, or 40 ft away. I need the flexibility far more than IS or 2.8 performance. Besides which, with a number of expensive hobbies, in addition to photography, I'm not going to blow thousands on a set of lenses that'll only gather dust.

If I may be so bold, 'sensible' would surely be offloading some of the numerous, and no longer used, pieces of kit that you've bought over the years, and putting the money into something that will be regularly pasted in Cod sh1te.

Sorry, didn't I mention the Sigma's resilience to the hazards found in a saltwater angler's environment. :D

Well impressed with the recent 'jay pics' Sharkbite, that puts the 50-500 as a confirmed top of my wish list after the 10-20!

SW

The sigma 10-20 is an excellent lens, and I wouldn't be without it now (unless I went to a full frame camera), I have heard one or two horror stories about the sharpness but mine is good, only thing with the lens is down at its widest (10mm) you'll sometimes get slight vignetting, back it off slightly to avoid this. It only takes one horror story though to start a whisper which fast becomes a rumour as people copy and paste the horror story around the net.

The Sigma 50-500..ahhh the "Bigma". I'd like one of these too, but there are other lens's I want first as time and money allow, the first on the list being a 50mm prime f1.8.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Still bored??

Try this website for tutorials about PS, lighting etc.

Linky!!

Requires an email login address only

In truth, I'm not sure its boredom Colin, probably 'frustration', things I want to do but cant . . . or wont . . . cantankerous old cuss that I can be <_<

I'm also getting a bit fedup, seeing the way things are going, feeling l'm being riped off as I look at the lenses. Watching the luster go out of peoples eyes, as we move in to financial termoile, seeing the agresion levels rise as they to get frustrated.

I need some fresh air in my lungs, and a fresh perspective on life!!

SW

I need some fresh air in my lungs, and a fresh perspective on life!!

That is why some of us choose to have boats, Cliff.

Get your backside out there, it's not as if you haven't got the vessel to make it possible.

If we can fish ten miles off in this, @ -15-20 degrees windchill whilst steaming (no wheelhouse, no galley......no oven!), you should be well sorted.

http://www.vimeo.com/2701620

There's no better way of making you feel alive........ but you know that already. :thumbs:

Edited by Sharkbyte